replace battery

Asked by Oct 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM about the 2005 BMW X5 4.4i

just replaced battery and after car sits for a couple of days battery is drained. what could be the cause??

3,285

You might have an alternator issue. If the battery is not getting recharged having driven the vehicle for a decent amount of time, and them sitting, then this could well be the issue. If it is not the alternator, then something else in the system could be causing a drain. Start simple and work your way out.

245

You have a power draw on electrical system, being that it's an x5 it could be anything.you need to attach a meter to the battery and measure the amperage ur r losing. This is tricky as u need to do this after the control units have all shut down whis is about 15 minutes.The tricky part is that u cannot open any doors or hood or trunk lid, as it will awaken the body control module and will trhow off your reading.measure reading between battery negative post and negative cable, with negative cable disconnected.check the reading, if more than 50 mA than u have to start removing fuses ti see if the reading changes(drops).That will be the circuit you start with to see what component is causing the draw. Good luck, BMWs electrical is not an easy task. Be careful what you tap into, some of the wiring contains fibre optics for the SRS system. In other words take it to the dealer

Best Answer
315

take the Car into to your nearest dealership trying to fix this yourself will only create expensive issues, which will inevitably have to be resolved by the said Dealership

3,285

Forget the dealer. A competent local shop is a better way to go, especially when you are out of warranty. $180/hr vs. $80 is a no brainer.

315

I work for a BMW dealership. competent local shops generate most of the Expensive issues I was relating too in my original post

4,575

I agree with Ronald a independent shop will not have the knowledge to find the issue. Battery drains get very complex fast. Most of them that I see in your model end up being a control module staying awake and most of the modules in said vehicle need to be programmed which can only be done by a dealer so why not do it all at the same place. Hope this helps good luck.

315

have you resolved your issues ?

10

Have the same issue - check the bluetooth inside the car - have the dealer check - know several folks with equal problem (myself, too). Bluetooth was draining the battery, went w/o notice.