How to reset the Computer code after disconnect / replace the battery

Asked by Mar 29, 2013 at 05:14 PM about the 2004 BMW X5 4.8is AWD

Hi Guys, Battery ran flat in my BMW x 5 4.8is after I left the key on about 4-5 hrs, some interior lights were on and
CD Player was on. is that usual? or is it look like my battery has come to end of life? I thought it has more power
than that.The I call RACV, a guy came and first tried with tiny battery pack, connected to jumper start, but didn't start
and some alarm went off and display went blank. then he disconnected the + terminal to reset the computer and
tried again, nothing happened. Then he suggested to use more powerful source he had and it seemed had enough
power ( he should have done it at the first place without disconnecting the power terminal), but computer asked for
code before it starts. I have no idea about what is that 4 digit code and does anybody know how to reset that code?
Also is that OK to charge the battery with external battery charger through the jumper start terminals without remove
the battery out of the car ( while the battery is fixed in the car?)

You can charge the battery through the jumper start terminals. They connect directly to the battery terminals. I don't know anything about the code. It might be written in your owners manual.

Thanks for the quick reply, I tried to charge but it wasn't possible. sound the alam for 30 sec and cut off the power in the charger. it doesn't even show the power level of the battery on the charger when it connected to the jumper start but it does in my Nissan. how can I contact BMW on this issue? Cheers Prasanna

hey you have the old x5 or the new one (e53 or e70)

It is 2004 model, 4.8is. I think 53e

hi,same to me but i disconnect battery wait 5 min connect battery back, turn egnition key to position 1 wait 10 min and start engine, all works but have another problem, the computer is not working corectly sound system is off display is confusing,i look in manual is nothing says about this, so i have apoinement next week to BMW center, hopufuly will fix that.

The Dealership just told me I need to bring it in to fix the code .I have the exact same issues after my battery drained when I left the key on for 4 hrs.yesterday..OK.OK..I was at the

I JUST did mine.we had to disconnect the neg.battery cable,the battery is under the spare tire in back,let sit for 5 min.then lightly touch neg.cable to the already connected Pos.terminal cable ,you will hear a slight "bump",that's the reset.Reconnect the neg.cable and you will be all set to go.I did NOT lose any pre sets and I SAVED $$$$?.Don t forget,tighten spare screw to be sure it's not gonna move while driving.GOOD LUCK !!

WOW and WHOA, happy I decided to not buy a BMW X5...

i ran my battery dead on my 2002 bmw x5 i took battery out now i have no fuel comimg up threw the fuel rack and im not sure if fuel up actually went out or i got to reset my computer

Similar Issue, I had battery replaced by Auto Zone and they reprogrammed the new battery. Ran fine for three days and totally died last evening on the way home from work. The battery reads 12.7 volts under the hood and in the trunk. I have checked all appropriate fuses, tried to start it with the intelligent battery sensor disconnected and connected but still nothing when I try to start it. Lights are bright and no warnings on the screen. Any suggestions are appreciated. John W

have 1 series bmw 128, chande out battery now want stsrt...

Have 1 series BMW, change out battery not it want start help please.....

John check your voltage regulator , and alternator.