Possible interior lighting issue.

10

Asked by Nov 24, 2012 at 03:02 PM about the 2000 Dodge Caravan Sport

We have a 2000 Dodge Caravan.  When the doors are opened, the lights blink, the 4-way lights blink, the
"door ajar/lights on signal" chimes, and you can hear the "park lamp relay" clicking.  When you take out
the relay, it does not stop the other problems.  I took off the turn signal thinking it was going bad and
with it disconnected, it still does the above mentioned things.  Any suggestions?

3,400

Is it equipped with any type of alarm system? It could be that the alarm siren is disconnected but upon the vehicle being open, the alarm module still activates the alarm.

10

It does not have an alarm system. The blinking seems to coincide with the interior lighting. When the interior lighting "shuts off," it stops. I saw on-line where people had a similar problem and changing out the turn-signal handle seemed to solve it. I took it off to see if maybe cleaning it off would help and when I opened the door (with the signal off and disconnected), I still got the disco show. I cleaned off the battery terminals and made sure they were secure and grounded...still getting the disco show. I also took out the relay and put another one in figuring a bad relay...and still getting the disco show. Any other suggestions maybe?

3,400

Body control module? But thats a guess. Check all of the door jamb switches. Other than that, Im stumped.

Best Answer
10

I will give that a try. Thanks for the suggestions.

10

Michael, I wanted to let you know that you were fairly correct on your first guess...and I cannot figure out how to change the best answer on this thread. Though the car does not have an alarm, it does have an anti-theft device which had been acticvated when I cleaned off the battery terminals a few days prior to the issue we had been having. When I took it in to the repair shop, they had to re-sync the "door lock remote" to the car, which took all of a couple of minutes. Basically, they hit the un-lock on the remote in rapid succession several times and restarted car. Cleared up the problem. Thanks for your advice...you diagnosed the problem correctly and I appreciate that. Thanks again!!!