My 1994 acura integra makes an annoying ticking noise and now accelerates kinda choppy. I've changed the oil and filled it with premium and fuel injector cleaner. it didn't help. What is it!?!???

10

Asked by Dec 30, 2014 at 05:08 PM about the 1994 Acura Integra LS Coupe FWD

10

Ticking noise is from your valves or lifters. You need some ZDDP in your motor. But before you just add that, you should clean the carbon and other contamination out of your motor with an engine flush. I recommend using the best engine flush you can get: https://www.protecautocare.com/motor-vehicle-care/engine-flush Dump one can in, run your vehicle for 10 minutes... you will hear the sound disappear in only about 5 minutes, but its important to make it for the full 10 minutes. After that, dump out that oil and refill the motor. The flush cleans the motor and covers the critical parts with ZDDP which will prevent noisy lifters or valves from ruining the purr of your Integra.

10

I didn't flush like you said, however I did do an oil change and added a quart of dura lube to the change, along with a bottle of the dura lube engine quiet. that helped for a little while, but now is ticking again...... So I believe I'll do the flush like you suggested. Thanks for the advice.

5

This car doesn't have lifters, it's an overhead cam with adjustable rocker arms. You don't say which engine or how many miles are on it, but I think it's safe to say you've never adjusted the valves. If you haven't had any training on this I would highly encourage you to let a qualified mechanic perform the adjustment. You will notice less clicking and probably more power right away. Clicking is caused by too loose an adjustment, which means your valves aren't staying open long enough to pull a complete charge of air/fuel mixture, or expel the exhaust. If you adjust the valves too tight, you'll burn the valves when they don't fully seat.

5

I forgot to mention- almost any additive is unnecessary- a properly tuned engine runs best on gas (or diesel) and oil only. This goes for coolant, brake/power steering fluid. If you've got noise it's because there's a clearance issue, not because you need to add magic (snake) oil. If you've got a leak, fix it, don't fall for magic additives