Loud annoying constant ticking sound when idling....

115

Asked by Dec 24, 2008 at 01:44 PM about the 1994 Acura Integra GS-R Hatchback

Basically whenever i'm stopped fully and wait about 1-2 seconds i start to hear a very annoying and loud ticking sound coming fromt the engine bay.

Am either thinking it is the fan belt or the bearings in the water pump are done?
Anyone got any other theories?

thanks!

2,040

I'd first check the oil level and insure it's where it needs to be. If that checks out ok, I'd venture to say you may need a valve adjustment or the oil pump has pressure issues at lower rpms? You can do an oil change (use cheap oil as this is diagnostic) use an oil with less viscosity/thinner and see if the problem corrects itself. If it does, the oil pump is getting weak. If it stays the same, do another oil change but use thicker oil. If it solves the problem, adjust your valves.

I had a similar problem and found that it was my timing belt and cover that was causing the problem...at least worth a check out??

115

Logan - I've checked all the oil, everything is fully stocked. I was scared at one point though, the engine had started overheating within the first 5 minutes of driving and i had taken it to a mechanic for a general tune-up/fill-up only a week since it had started to overheat. At that point i was thinking i could have had a cracked block.....but all was needed was rad fluid. I checked it again after my tune-up and the container was bone dry.... I was just surprised that either my mechanic didn't check it (which he should have when i was paying him for that exact thing) or there could be a leak somewhere. Thats what got me thinking it could have been cracked but so far the problem seems to be fixed on that front. It might actually be an issue with the valves, i can't be 100% certain but i'll definetly get it checked out by someone who's a little more knowledgeable than me. If the problem still persists than i'm not sure where to go from there. Cargurus user - It could be as simple as something as a timing belt. My dc2 has been regularly driven for 14-15 years so it could just be time for another belt. It's at 221k which might suggest it. I honestly have no idea how many times the timing b. was replaced so its a bit of a crapshoot but worth trying i suppose. I ended up buyin the car from a bit of a shady dealership and took my chances (i ended up getting a pretty good deal for a gsr but it needed work here and there - new master clutch slave cyl, new clutch, new control arms. I cna only hope its a timing belt and/or cover issue!

2,040

Timing belt is unlikely...they should be changed on your vehicle every 60K miles if I'm not mistaken. Also, that is a geared belt, it would fail but more than likely not slip. Slippage would change the timing; also, it would affect idle and performance. Losing fluid and overheating is interesting? I assume the oil isn't contaminated? Milky in appearance...if so, you need a head gasket. I'd think you may need a valve adjustment but, the oil change I recommended will certainly answer those questions. And, 8 quarts of oil and a couple of filters is cheaper than going into the top of the engine to adjust valves or do diagnosis checks. Perform those checks before giving it to a mechanic.

115

Thanks Logan, i'm housing the dc2 for a couple of days and going to check out everything and work on it a bit on the weekend. Too much snow up here in vancouver right now so there's no use putting my car through hellish snow covered streets or working on it either at this point. I'll give ya an update once i change the oil and filter and see where i'm at then! thanks again man =D

15

Dude i can garantee to you its your LMA's. Look them up and you will find how common it is for them to go out.

2,040

What????....please explain...that makes no sense to me? BTW...What are LMA's..that is a new term to me?

95

I'm pretty sure is your valve clearance getting loose......... factory maint....... valve adjustment every 30k. Look into this first if you're able to before giving your money away.