disc brake convertion

Asked by Nov 26, 2013 at 03:08 PM about the 1968 Ford Mustang Base

I can't afford the convertion kit is there a newer model ford in the junk yard that i could use to update my 68 mustang's brakes?

easy....summitracing.com....definitely has the goods~

not a junkyard....go to car-part.com there you'll find ALL networked salvagers~

305

68 mustang, you will need a Granada if going to a junk yard. You need spindles and everything including the proportioning valve off the master cylinder. You really should get a Disc brake Master from an autoparts store. as Disc were optional on a 68 But , after all that, you will likely still have a couple hundred bucks at least in the setup I have used www.scarebird.com brackets a few times. The advantage here is that you can get disc brakes fairly cheap and you can choose which setup you need. Also you do not remove your spindles so you don't have to worry about alignment or ball joints. If you are going to be using the stock 14 inch wheels or if you are going to be using bigger wheels determines the kit you will need The kit has good instructions and you can usually complete the whole swap fairly inexpensively. They only sell the brackets, everything else comes from an autoparts store or junkyard. The disadvantage is that it is not original. but then neither is a Granada setup.

Best Answer

I live in Mass. and i'm not going to find a 69 granada could you recomend a web sight?

305

Sorry, I wasn't clear, the Granada will be from the mid to late 70's up to 80. After 1980 the platform changed to the Fox platform (Mustang, Fairmont) You cant use those. I meant you can get a disc brake master cylinder for a 68 Mustang from an auto parts store. The difference between a disc brake and a drum brake master cylinder is the size of the reservoir, Since disc brake calipers use a larger fluid reservoir than the drum brake wheel cylinders, the master for disc brakes is divided with large and small compartments to distribute the fluid proportionally. Call around to the junk yards in your area. This brake swap was very popular so it may be hard to find a Granada (Or Mercury Monarch) That still has its spindles.