Convert Front Drum brakes to Disc Brakes

Asked by Apr 22, 2011 at 04:17 PM about the 1968 Ford Mustang

I would like to convert my front drum brakes to disc brakes. Can anyone tell me what other make and model would be compatible with my 1968 Mustang with a 302 v-8 engine.

any mustang with disc on front will work,their is quite a bit of work involved to make the swap.

75

Agree. I can be quite a lot of work. You might also want to take a look at some catalogs online which have the different options to do this job. Mustangs Unlimited, Summit Racing, Jeg's, etc. I am not affiliated with any of them, they are helpful at times though. Also, the tech people at these places can give you the various options as well.

175

SSBC makes a nice kit to do the conversion. It comes with everything that you need. The only problem that I had on my 67 coupe is that the wheel bearings were too small to fit on the spindles. I think that sometime in the past 44yrs the original spindles were changed for the 70 - 71 spindles. Not a major problem, just an extra trip to the machine shop for new bearings. It isn`t too big of a job, I did it in my garage with normal hand tools, it took me 3 evenings to do the conversion.

15

I am looking into doing this same swap. I have looked at various kits and think I could do it for half the price just getting parts from Napa. Am I overlooking parts or is there a reason these kits are so expensive?

265

Your Mustangs same platform cars that will swap are Falcon, torino, fairlane, montego, cougar, comet, and also check TomsClassic parts on ebay as they have kits for different bearing sizes front and rear disc conversions that are reasonably priced.

20

I'm doing the same conversation for my 68 GT350. How you want to use the car like track or autocross affects what brakes you want to go with. Daily driver doesn't need racing brakes. I am looking at the Wilwood Classic Mustang kit. 4 piston street brake. Pay attention to what brakes fit the spindle on your car and whether the set up will fit in your wheels.