what is the value of a 1979 Mustang in fair condition?

35

Asked by May 17, 2008 at 10:13 PM about the 1979 Ford Mustang Base

Fair condition with 75,703 original miles few rust spots on body but frame,motor and interior is in good condition. Therefore, how do I find the value of my recently purchased Ford Mustang?

Oction 20,000 non-oction around 6,700

335

you'll never get 20 grand for a 79. maybe 4 grand or so

210

You don't give much info about the car. If it's a T5 coupe with a V8 and no A/C it tops out around $5,000 in great condition. A little rust and wear & tear would drop it to around $3,500. If it's a special version (Cobra, Pace Car, etc.), that will raise the value considerably if it's preserved/restored. Check out: http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1979&m=1065&d=2855&c=13&o=34632&vi=72409&da=-1

210

Remember, though: Value is all in the eye of the beholder. If all the guides say it's worth $5,000, but somebody offers you $20g for it, guess what it just became worth. Of course, if you say no, then it must be worth even more than that to you. I've sold many cars for "more than they were worth". Not to rip people off. My philosophy is, "It's worth that much to me. $xx,xxx is how many dollars it'll take to convince me to part with my car. If it's not worth that to you, fine. I'll just keep my car, thanks." In the end, they always sell to someone who shares my views and agrees that it's worth that much to them, too. I've only had 1 buyer unhappy later, but that's because neither one of us expected the transmission to go a few months later!

65

A 1979 Mustang is a semi-rare vehicle now. Last I checked there were less then 500 in the so called 5-state-region around Texas. I love my '79 'Stang and no one will get it for less then $10K. If yours is in good condition, hang on to it, recondition it. I think this is a vehicle that currently lays under the radar, but it won't be long before they start showing up.

985

not much ...

60

Is there somewhere on the net that I can find out the worth of my husbands 79 mustang, it needds work and he doesn't want to do it. He was a body man by trade and we parked it in the garage knowing it needed a paint job and a timing chain but that is all. Do you know of an area on the net to find out the cost? I stuck it on craigslist for 1,000 and my husband had a fit, I thought it wasn't worth anymore than that. Can you help me out?

any vehicle is worth what a person is willing to pay,but 5 k to 20 k theeses guys are dreaming,all it is really worth in todays market,and checked with local ford dealership after seeing this post $500.00 to $750.00.sorry to burst all the bubbles on this post.

185

Generally speaking if it is in running condition any vehicle is logically worth at least $1000. Obviously a dealership wouldnt pay that much but this guy doesnt seem to be planning on trading it in at his local ford store.

I never said he was,the 77 to 80 mustanges were very UN POPULAR,ugley body style.yea may get a grand for it.but you got to put on your thinking cap.1979 with 75,703 miles,that tells the storie their.how long has it sit,when was the last time it was started or driven.rust spots are bigger than spots.also how long has the gas been in the tank,tranny fluid is probley grayish now,filter is rotten,clutches are probley stuck together & cracked oil is probley like 90 weight oil,filter stoped up.do I need to go on????

185

Well if the description he gave is accurate you seem to assuming alot of problems that arent really true. If all the problems you described are actually happening on this car then its clearly not in running order and therefore he would be LUCKY if he got 500 for it.

where did you learn about cars,at the 5 & dime store.

185

So... What? Your gonna imply that I know nothing because I am calmly disagreeing with you and saying that you are listing a bunch of problems that dont exist in the car we are talking about? WHy? Because I am taking this guys word about the car HE is trying to sell because I have no reason not to trust him?

GO AWAY.

185

Does it really bother you that much to have someone calmly disagree with you?

NO ,it dont.but why go on about it.you made your point I made mine.you dont agree with my response,which is fine.But you do have to be concerned about the potential problems I brought up.

185

Hey You disagreed with my point and so like a normal person I continued the discussion... Then you replied by saying that I know nothing. Then when I responded to your attempt to insult me you told me to "GO AWAY"... Its one thing to disagree calmly and politely and walk away. its another to try and insult someone elses knowledge or viewpoint and then demand they leave when they dont lash out at you. You dont like my point in this discussion all you gotta do is walk away big guy.

OK bud,time to stop.you dont want to keep this up.cant argrue with a tool.

185

Hey like I said... You want this conversation to end then dont reply to me. As long as you keep trying to act tough or insult people Im gonna keep replying to you.

now,youre showing your ignorance.

185

How so? Because I wont just let you drop it?

605

He"s nuts..I wouldnt give over 500,for it,much less,if it didnt run,and drive..Face it--Fox-Bodies,are a dime a dozen,and dont bring the money,the other mustangs,bring,and never will...Unless,of course,it"s an indy-pace-car...

215

Post pictures in reply to this question please.

215

^True story

10

I have a 1979 5.0 Ghia with AC. It has the original white vinyl top full custom. Upgraded 8.8 rearend built org 302 with NOS. Paint is 95 dodge viper red

1979 mustang convertible cobra running very well 71,00miles woth anything

I have a 79 mustang that I am considering selling. I was trying to see how much I should sell it for. I was told by car dealer that is worth at least $5,000. He really want to buy it but I am not sure.

10

I have two 1979 Mustang Pace Cars and have had several others that I have had restored and sold to guys who had these cars when they were in High School. There are not too many Pace Cars left so if you like to restore cars and like the old pace cars I think they are a nice hobby to restore and sell to other guys that had these cars. Unfortunately, this is not something you are going to make a bunch of money at. I am happy if I break even. I still like to redo these cars and sell them to a few people who really appreciate the old pace cars. If anyone has a 1979 Pace Car they are are trying to get rid of I am definitely interested.

I have a 79 l6 3.3 running perfectly and all it needs is a paint job but that's coming soon

I have a 79 pace car four cylinder good shape will sale

The email address for the 4 cylinder turbo 79 pace car is Norman2417@att.net.