2007 Mazda3 auto trans 2.3 liter gas mileage issues

Asked by Mar 15, 2007 at 04:55 PM about the 2007 Mazda MAZDA3 s Grand Touring

I have a 2007 Mazda3 s GT with auto trans. Gas mileage is suppose to be 25city/31highway. I only get 21-22mpg driving half of the time on highway, the other half suburban driving. When I fill the car up, the computer tells me 345 miles remaining. Does something sound wrong here? Even at 25 mpg in the city, my vehicle should show 363 miles remaining, and based off of 31 mpg, that is 450 miles. Also, when changing gears from park to drive or reverse, I hear this grinding squeak. I took it to the shop and they heard it too. They put it up to check underneath, and they believe that it is the struts rubbing together when making a gear change while foot is on brake. They said it is pretty much normal. The sound that it makes when going from park to reverse or drive, is like when you slightly release your foot from wet brakes. If anyone can help to tell me if the mpg is normal and the noise, I would greatly appreciate it. Eric

13,960

Dear aa1447-- Projected gas mileage is only a very educated guess about any new car you are buying. After you have driven you 2007 Mazda several thousand miles it should come closer to the advertised figures. If not, bring it to a dealership. As to the grinding squeek, I would bring it back to the dealer. You are under warranty and there is no reason that this could not be repaired. Be forceful. Good luck from Bovan.

35

Reference gas mileage...after reading many forum for 3's your mileage isn't out of the ordinary...owners with automatics are all complaining about their mileage...even some with manuals are complaining...I have a 5 speed and shift early and am not hard on the gas pedal and I'm getting around 30mpg but if I hit the gas hard it drops dramatically...don't have a solution for your except be gentle if you want your mileage to improve but there goes the fun factor. Outingsinc

310

the EPA estemated milage is under the most perfect of all condtions, so you will NEVER drive your car to get what the sticker tells you. don't blame MAZDA for this, blame Canada. my friend has the 2.0 mated with the 5 speed trans, and he get about 35 to 40 average. be happy with this.

15

I have a stickshift 2006 and I average 29-30, but that's driving pretty gently, no air con, easy on the acceleration, keeping the tach below 3000, etc. Mine has the same issue when shifting into reverse, I'd like to know what the deal is too.

185

My '04 Mazda 3s five speed returns 30 to 32 MPG in mixed driving. It used to be higher, up to 36, until they started blending 10% ethanol in all the fuel here in Maine. I try to fill up at the same pump at the same station on my commute using the same method (stop pumping when it kicks off the first time) and I've been tracking fuel consumption via spreadsheet for almost three years now, and those numbers are pretty consistent. If you look at the EPA estimates, your fuel economy with the automatic should be the same as the manual, so it could be something in your driving technique. I find that smooth, gentle acceleration makes a noticeable and immediate difference with my fuel economy in this car. Good luck.

110

your noise is normal all it is. is torque transfer with your foot on the brake and shifting into reverse or drive causes some load on engine and causes the vehile to lurch forward slightly just like if you go down the road and brkae and gas at the same time brkaes will slightly hold and with engine being loaded up will cause more stress on mounts and brakes of vehicle