Hose from Air Filter to Intake Manifold?

155

Asked by Feb 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Equinox LS

What is the hose that goes from the air filter housing to the top of the engine?

99,105

Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) - it burns oil vapors to reduce emissions

155

thank u so much!

True. Mostly. That's the PCV return, .If a crankcase were to be sealed, blow by from the combustion process would build to the point of blowing out the weakest point, the oil filler cap, valve cover gaskets, anywhere it could. Early engines used a simple vent. Then somebody thought of sucking the air out, using intake manifold vacuum to positively get the air out, hence PCV. There are two hoses, one on each valve cover, one sucking air out from vacuum, and the other, from air filter housing, to allow clean air back in from the vacuum created in the crankcase from the PCV vacuum source

You can see the 2 hoses, the one on the left side observed from this vantage point, or passenger side that hose goes up and out of sight to bottom of air filter, the one on the right, again from this view (which is really the left side of the engine drivers side) goes to the PCV valve, air flowing from there to vacuum source back in to intake

Best Answer

click on picture to see it better

could be a pre-heater hose (kinda robot arm flexible aluminum) that goes from the exhaust manifold to a thermally activated switch that diverts the fresh air to be pulled from the manifold or fresh air;

Good morning Bob. I re wrote that about 4 times trying to explain, but what are you talking about? I was only trying to show about the 2 rubber hoses vacuum and return

yes of course, the stove kit which in cold climates is the only thing that will let you engine have it's morning coffee---but out west here you could take those things and throw them in the garbage can. When you start at an ambient temp of 50, them things aint necessary!

pcv just is so you don't have to breathe nasty crankcase air, but your engine does- Not quite sure about this as being "the thing" that this customer was after. Those kind of robotty things are quite dramatic and usually get someone's attention as to know why. Perhaps this was the intention, tenspeed wasn't thinking drama, I guess.

she never said "valve cover" at any point in time. just 'the engine' pardon my french.

155

ok so now I'm so confused....you two are just too educatted! Maybe my son can figure it all out tho, lol, it's his car afterall, and he wanted me to ask the experts :-) Thanks guys....

155

*educated