I just got my 2007 chevy cobalt one year ago and my steering wheel has a rattling underneath it, the dealer said it was the tie rod and wanted to charge me $600 to fix it when it was suppose to be fixd before i bought it. anyways i got it fixed for 300, well one year later, its doing it again and it's worse and the whole car shakes when it gets to 45-55. anybody think its something different or have any information to help me please!!!

Asked by Nov 20, 2012 at 05:47 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Sedan FWD

Unbalanced tire. Its too fast for a wheel bearing. Also a possibility its a broken belt in the tire but that is usually felt at lower speeds. It is a possibility though.

rotate the tires, to attempt to better or worsen the feel...does it shake the seat more, or the dash and steering wheel more? I know around that time, they had an open recall for the knuckle in the sterring shaft itself, not that it would cause such an issue, but feel free to call any gm dealership with your vin, and ask a service writer to check the vin, and see if there is anything open, then run it by them, see if they are familiar with anything, a free call maybe 5-10 minutes won't hurt you..

Hello Jamiewillis01, I would be glad to research your VIN to see if there are any open recalls or special coverages on your vehicle that may be related to your current issues. If so, please private message me your VIN, name, current mileage and your dealership's name. My email address is socialmedia@gm.com Attn: Vanessa. I look forward to your reply. Vanessa GM Customer Service

Inner fender well plastic won't make your steering wheel shake, the tire would rip the plastic off before it shook the steering wheel. An unbalanced tire will make the wheel and the part of the car its connected to shake, starting at 40 MPH and up.