I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt and I have put new brakes and rotors on this car 2 months ago and just this past Saturday I put in a new wheel hub bearing on passenger front. And when I go to get on my brakes it has that dragging sound like brakes against rotors, like bad brakes. Very confused...any ideas?

95

Asked by Feb 11, 2015 at 12:39 AM about the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT1 Coupe

Put new brakes and rotors on both front 2 months ago, front end alignment and new tires
less than six weeks ago. New wheel hub bearing with abs on passenger front. Stopped
the whining while driving town the road but still when I get on my brakes it has that
dragging sound just on the passenger front. Confused if its a bad caliper or bad brakes,
pads, but pads still looked great.

19,350

Did you do the brakes or take car somewhere to have them done? It could be as simple as the dust sheild rubbing on the rotors. Could be a bad front axle.

95

I did the both front brakes plus new rotors myself 2 months ago. It has no dust shields on neither one of the front axles. So it could be the CV AXLE itself or bad brake pads, I have gotten bad pads before.

19,350

Ok so you did them. Did you lube the caliper slide pins, clean and lube the slots in the caliper that the new pads slide in?

Best Answer
95

I did not take the slide pins out and put anti seize on them, but I did clean where the pads go in with brake cleaner but did not lube.

19,350

Well, I'd start there. Hopefully its that simple.

95

OK thank you much, I will try that friday when off, with hopefully some luck. I will update.

19,350

No problem. Good luck.

3,955

It could also be a seized caliper that is not releasing properly causing a pad to drag although I actually doubt that you would hear a dragging noise with that .Check them out while you're in there though.

95

Update: Problem fixed, it was the metallic brake pads, I took the brake calipers apart and cleaned with brake cleaner, greased all pins and contact points with a high temp caliper grease and went back with ceramic brake pads.

95

I replaced the throttle body on my car 1 month ago and the RPM's are still jumping, and when I first start my car it revs way up and goes back to normal and uses a lot of gas. But I'm figuring I didn't torque the bolts to specs, so went and got me a torque wrench. I just need to know if anyone would know what is the torque specs for this. I hope this solves the problem. But if anyone has any suggestions of what else it could be please specify.

3,955

I think that is unlikely to be the problem. Before spending money on tools I would have checked for trouble codes. Most likely a sensor somewhere is not working. Don't get the torque wrench dirty. You may still be able to return it and use the money to pay for a faulty part.

95

well I needed the torque wrench for other projects, I bought for when I did wheel hub bearing. so not returning. all sensors were checked no other bad sensors.

19,350

When was the last time it was tuned up? Could be a bad coil pack. Bad crank or cam sensors. Throttle position sensor. MAP sensor. It could be a lot of different things.

95

they said throttle position sensor was bad but mine is integrated into the throttle body so had to replace the throttle body. check engine light went off and hasn't been on sense. but rpms go way up when I start car and goes back to normal. so there is air coming in somewhere. either the hose or the throttle body itself. I was thinking possibly the ignition coils

95

tune up was less than 2 months ago, replaced the plugs and boots and resisters