Why is my 2008 dodge avenger running hot?

10

Asked by Oct 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM about the 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT

Well just recently my car started running hot. for one my heater sometimes work and sometimes it don't. I noticed some steam was comimg from the top of my radiator cap. also I noticed water inside the panel of the passenger tire on the front. It only run hot when driving. then my electric throttle control light comes on sometimes. I plan on buying a new radiator cap to start off. So could you please help me and tell what i need to do. Im also going to drive it again and check for leaks in my hoses

8,945

Are your fluid up to par

10

For as i know. What all i need to check. My mom been putting water in reservoir. Because when it runs hot. It drains all the fluid out. Its not rushing out or anything. But its like its drinking all the water. Going to put some antifreeze in it today. Other than that what else i need to check.

8,945

can u look for the leak

10

I did but couldn't really see exactly where it was coming from. I jacked the car up on the passenger side and got under the car a lil and i could see it draining out but couldn't pin point where it was coming from. I just turned the car on and let it running for awhile and maybe after 20 mins it started coming out. Wherever its coming from its on the passenger side running down off the plastic flap on the bottom. Just couldn't get under there good enough to see it. I checked all my hoses at the top for leaks but i think it's gone be leaking from the bottom somewhere

8,945

do you know if its oil or antifreeze

10

It's not oil. It kinda look like water but its probably antifreeze . When it first start running hot my mom filled it up with water (the reservoir). So i would say it was water first before we put some more antifreeze in it. But to be honest it looks more like water to me

20

it is probably a water pump leaking

Did you ever figure it out? My car is doing the exact same thing with running hot and electronic throttle control light

Same problem. 2008 dodge avenger. Runs just slightly hot. Goes slightly up then normalised by itself. On a number of times I added coolant throughout the years. Happening about 5 years now. Had 2 different mechanics replace both thermostats and still happened. And both mechanics replaced the thermostat housing. It's more noticeable in the summer. 2.4 litre

Is it even remotely possible you may have a bad freeze plug. I know it's not a normal problem but sometimes you must look outside the box good luck my friend Dawg