my 1999 acura 3.5rl wont start up

5

Asked by Feb 17, 2014 at 07:19 PM about the 1999 Acura RL 3.5 FWD

just the other day i was driving it and out of no where i start smelling like burn wires  i didnt know where it was coming from so i left it alone the next day the check engine light comes on and it turns back off i left it alone too then the next day i drove it to wash it at night then in the morning i was getting ready to go to work and it would start up .my battery was drained and when i tried turning it on i can only hear a click and it smelled like burned wires what can it be HELP

257,895

From your description I'd say something shorted/burned out now. There is no way for us to know without opening the hood and inspecting it. The clicking is a drained/discharged battery. Now you will need a tow to the nearest garage for repair. Hooking up a new or recharging your current battery will probably not work at this point, but you never know. Good Luck!

I had the same problem and for me it was my starter. I would push the key on the ignition and a clicking noise would sound. You should check that out

I have a 2003 Acura 3.5rl with Navi. It's the same body made after the Acura Legend was discontinued. The RL's and TL's have alot of shorts and electrical problems to begin with and starting is a major one. This is a failed design for Acura. 1). The starter gets beat to hell by being next to very hot exhaust manifold. They put it in the same location as it's competitors Mercedes and BMW which have the same problem and you have to rip out half of the car to get to the starter which is connected with two bolts and one plug going into an opening in the engine to spin the fly wheel. 2). The ignition needs to be replaced. 3). The whole elecrical system including fuses and wiring needs a complete and total diagnosis and deep scan. Buy a Tesla and get rid of all mechanics and dealers.