My 1987 pontiac fiero GT stalls out when it gets very hot outside.

Fritz87
0

Asked by Jul 29, 2014 at 05:10 PM about the 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

The heat gauge is not reading hot,  it just stalls whenever its hot out,  just started this
summer. Already bought a air control valve, and O2 sensor.  No service lights are on or
anything.

68,825

Has the ignition module and distributor pickup ever been changed? If not you might consider doing that.

Fritz87
0

Have already done that. Its fine when its not as hot outside, its very frustrating, stalls out at every stop sign.

68,825

Have you had the codes checked? That might give you a starting place, hopefully there will be a code or codes in memory.

Fritz87
0

Yup, Nothing comes up. My mechanic son says possibly the cold start injector might be leaking.

68,825

I don't remember any American cars having a cold start injector, a lot of Imports do. Will it start back up after it stalls?

Fritz87
0

yea it alwasy starts up, but u have to crank it longer after it sits for a bit, which is why i suspect a leaking injector, also because it kinda smells rich..and gets bad milage

68,825

You should be getting a code for that, I had a simulacrum problem on a Ford OBD 1 no codes, stalling at stops, turned out to be a bad intake air temperature sensor, but I had to hook up the breakout box to find it, it would work just fine until, according to it's own reading was 202 degrees then it would drop to -35 degrees and stay there,the engine actual temp never got above 200. My your son has an aftermarket GM Breakout box it can make a long process shorter. Or you could just start replacing sensors, as you already have the O2 replace it first, then replace the intake air temp, the engine temp sensor, then the mass air flow, and TPS. Be sure to clear the ECM after each sensor.

Fritz87
0

yea theres no codes though, and it does have a cold start injector, on the side of the intake almost below the dizzy