Intermittent Fuel Pump problem 98 Disco

Asked by Apr 16, 2015 at 11:54 PM about the 1998 Land Rover Discovery 4 Dr LE AWD SUV

I had my 98 Disco out of service for about 9
days after getting the heads and valves
done. After putting everything back
together she would only turn over..no fuel
pressure at rail and the pump wasn't
kicking on. Pulled the fuse and put it back
in and the pump began working. The next
day she died in a drive thru.. again no fuel
pressure. Got it towed home and put a
meter on the fuel pump plug..I had my 12v..
so figured at 115 000 mi the pump died..
had one overnighted to me..put it in and it
kicked on and I drove it all day. Then this
morning I was getting ready to go to work
and once again the pump isn't kicking on
but there is voltage......any ideas? Thanks in
advance..

Hey William, I just bought a 1998 disco and it started fine when I bought it drove it home and one more place locally and it died.... no fuel pressure, so I checked the fuse, it was ok. next I checked the Fuel pump...no power???? So I followed the wires from the fuel pump to under the drivers side rear of the truck, and found a connection. I unplugged the connection and saw a blackened post. I pushed the post back into the wire to make a connection and viola it started right up. of course I am going to need a new connection, but it works. Hope that helps...

10

i had the same problem with my Disco1 95, Found that connection is ok as when the ignition is switched on Pump primes for few seconds and stops, then once car is started it runs properly again. Problem I found was in the assembly of the pump. Where the connector wiring plugged into the pump had intermittent connection that created problem of pump having no power. connector has four pins two for pump and two for float level. Module has a 90deg connection which takes power into the tank intermittent fault is there. Ran new solid pins inside to make solid connection and problems ever since.