No Crank and No Start and No Wireless Key Function on 2000 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible

60

Asked by Feb 02, 2014 at 09:23 PM about the 2000 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible

Worked great yesterday. Have had starter issues over the last year.  These solutions have "worked" temporarily (weeks, or months at a time)

Battery is fully charged at 12+ volts and all connections are clean
Starter is New.     Ignition Cassette Replaced.   Battery in Key is good.   
Wired in a switch to work around the neutral switch (worked for months)

Symptoms:   yesterday, all worked. Today---turn the key, no clicks from starter (except a weird click coming from the passenger speaker of all things).  Key turns, lights on dash are fine... BUT, suddenly the key remote stopped working.  Tried other key.  Neither starts the car.   Help!?

105,955

Sounds like you having a battery issue again. Can you jump start it? If so Test your alternator. It might not be putting out the 14.5 volts to keep your battery charged fully all the time.

60

I had volt meter on the battery today after full charge from the battery charger... I had 12.5 volts from Battery. Still no start. Haven't tried jump. Would that matter? any of that related to the key not working on doors and trunk? Related to no start?

105,955

So you had to charge your battery? I would double check all connections and also tighten and clean the negative battery connections on the frame and ground. A low charge battery and or loose or dirty negative connection will keep the fobs from working properly. Yes with a jump start you have the cables hooked positive to positive and the negative from the good battery hooked to the frame or motor. In this case your vehicle will be getting a good negative connection thru the jumper vehicles battery.

105,955

Ment frame and motor.

19,475

security lockout! work keys in doors, disconnect bat. 15 min and reconnect.

105,955

Good point 7jimmy7

18,475

I have seen the battery have 12v + and put a load on it and drop to 4v.

60

No drop of voltage when I turn key, but the starter isn't engaging to pull a load either. Jimmy, when you say, "work the keys".. do you mean Stick them in the exterior door key slot while I disconnect the negative, wait for 15, rehook the negative and then pull the keys out?

60

I don't think I ever needed to charge the battery. I just did it as a "just in case" trouble shooting.

18,475

Is the security light flashing?

60

yes it is flashing. I put both keys in the door key holes. Disconnected the negative wire from battery for 15 minute. Then "locked and unlocked" the driver door manually, Hooked up negative wire. Locked and unlocked again manually. Then placed key in ignition and still no start. But red light was flashing.

19,475

work your locks with keys , sometimes disarming mechanism needs reset, as far as the battery disconnect depending how the wiring is engineered some vehicles will reset the control modules for a fresh relearn . some on a long disconnect 30 min.or so will reset check engine light, some German cars, a very long disconnect like several months will erase all memory and now you go to dealers shop and tune in the factory and download updated garb. Nice cars these days, blessings and curses hand in hand!

18,475

Replace the siren assembly. It is located under the left front fender. This is a common problem on saab . Then reset the system.

18,475

The siren assembly is for the anti theft and the problems are exactly as you described.

Best Answer
60

So once I replaced the siren security assembly, how do I reset the system?

60

Can I just remove the alarm? Is the assembly the box located just under the dash behind the front left tire?

18,475

No it is under the left front inner fender. I believe you will have to replace it. The anti theft has to see the siren to work and that is why it's not working now.

18,475

put both keys in the door key holes. Disconnected the negative wire from battery for 15 minute. Then "lock and unlock" the driver door manually, Hook up negative wire. Lock and unlock again manually. Then place key in ignition

10

I have something similar happening to my Saab... http://youtu.be/Y7WcCmXHKTY?list=UUZnhpYhILz1U98aPQearo2A Is this the same thing?