car will not start by turning the key in the ignition

Asked by Oct 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM about the 1990 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 4 Dr Regency Brougham Sedan

The car will not start by turning the key in the ignition.  The battery, starter and alternator is fine.  I have a wire from the starter with a toggle switch on it and when I turn the ignition and hit the switch the caar starts, but if I just turn the key I get nothing not even a crank.

135

Does it click? Because if the 90 98's are like the 93 98's then the little chip in your key might be toast. If you have another set of ignition keys then try them if possible.

160

ignition switch is bad and not reading key so goes into security mode to prevent starting.. is security light been on?

60

it will not fire

90 oldsmobile cant get fire