My 91 Camaro RS requires DEXRON III trans fluid. I'm doing a complete trans rebuild and I was told to use DEXRON VI. Anyone know if this is ok? Suggestions?

20

Asked by Feb 24, 2015 at 10:39 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

It has the 700R4 auto trans and I already
burned up the original and a second used
one. Is a shift kit a good idea? Please help!

91,005

If you are doing a complete rebuild Dexron 6 should be okay, it has a higher heat boiling point. Another thing I would do is completely bypass the cooler in the radiator and put in a nice big tranny cooler out in front, it is just starting to gain momentum. It some tranny rebuilders won't honor the warranty if you don' t bypass the radiator cooler and install a better cooler. I saw a nice one in I think it was summit racing that had an electric fan on it, that should keep it cool. HTH

18,790

I agree with tennisshoes. Yes a mild shift kit would be a great addition at this point. It will help give you nice crisp shifts.

85

sounds like you need to set line pressure so you don't burn them up and the best shift kit for a 700r4 is a transgo 2-3 reprogrammer shift kit you have the option of a full manuel valve body or retain full automatic shifts very good kit

20

Thanks for everyone's answers they are very helpful. The tranny cooler out front sounds like a great idea, don't know that it's in the budget at this time tho. Starting the project tomorrow I'll keep ya posted on how it goes. TransAm77 you are very knowledgeable on GM vehicles and what a great car you have.

18,790

Thanks for the compliment. The car in the thumbnail is not mine just a random pick I found. Had a 77 back in the day, and a few others over the years, wish I still had the 77.