My Camaro Has A Trans Issue

315

Asked by Jun 02, 2011 at 02:18 AM about the Chevrolet Camaro

My Third gen Camaro has The auto transmission has run perfect but other day I discovered that everytime I shift down from P to D it makes a "CLUNK" sound right after. But when I put it back to park it makes no sound, but everytime I shift down it goes "CLUNK" ! , so I called trans shop, and they said its the U-joints is that what it could be ?

475

could be... thats about a $200 job if its done right

15

Sounds like u-joints to me.. the joints should be about 10$ each and I would just put two new ones in cuz u not really any use in putting just one in. In my shop it should take me about a hour to change them

475

yea, if you do it yourself its cheep. not too hard either. i just did ujoints in a ram 1500. the old ones were in pieces lol

315

Just found a brand new set of SuperStrength U-joints supposedly the best on eBay for 45 bucks. But I've never had to do the U-joints before, what's involved in replacing them ?

youll need a ujoint press (autozone loans them or you can buy a cheap one from harbor freight) a hammer, and needle nose pliers. Jack up the rear of the car and scribe a line at the metal flange of the driveshaft across the pinion that it bolts to. The driveshaft is balanced so you want the alignment marks for the re-installation. Once you have the drive shaft off use the needle nose pliers to take the e-clips off the ends of the ujoints (look at the e-clips supplied with the new ujoint and youll figure out how they come off) tap the old u-joint out. When i did mine i used a hammer and a 7/8 deep well socket to tap the old one out. then press the new one in, be careful that none of the needle bearings gets crushed, make sure they are securely around the perimeter of the u-joint cap, and install the new e-clips. The job will probably take around an hour or so.

oh, almost forgot, make sure you have 2 u-joints one for the front of the drive shaft and one for the rear. And the best u-joints would be lakewood's they are SFI approved, you can purchase them through most autoparts stores but they are usually special order.

95

Try checking your Transmission fluid level . If it still does it after you put transmission fluid into to it , check for leaks under the tranny . If you have leaks you may have to replace the transmission pan gasket or various other gaskets . But the parts cost around 10$ for the gaskets. Check that and give me a reply back !

265

yes u joints or pinion gear at the rear diff

45

Deffinitely the U-Joints. My dad had the same problem with his camaro and suburban. Easy fix only takes 10 to 15 minutes if you know what your doin.