Some of the interior lights don't work

Asked by Jan 13, 2015 at 06:03 PM about the 1993 Buick Riviera Coupe FWD

I have a 93 Buick Riviera.  All the dash lights work except those for the a/c, radio, and gear shift and the headlights don't go off automatically anymore.  I think I have a short somewhere because the fuses are ok.  How do I find out where that short is?

8,475

check the twighlight sentinel... it should be at off position.

twilight sentinel is at off position. it doesn't seem to make any difference which position it is in...it doesn't work. the lights on the radio, console gear shift, and heat and air do not work. are they all on the same wiring harness? maybe there is a short?

1,335

Charlotte yes the lights you described are on a different circuit. These items/locations have its own light circuit that's inter connected with lets say the radio. It has been my experience to either locate a radio/heat/a/c control panel with the lights working or just leave it be. The lights works from a circuit board where the connectors are soldered in. The light that's illuminates the console gear shift should have its own light/bulb.

Charlotte, I am having the exact same problem with a 1990 Buick Riviera right now. The backlighting is not working as you described. The electronic dashboard works fine, but won't dim. I additionally am not getting heat through the defrost or heat settings (heater core is fine & blend door opens with temperature controls). All of these issues started together at the same time. I have cleaned up main grd and pos terminals under hood & checked fuses. Tried swapping BCM, PCM & light switch from another 1990 Riviera with no change. Where you able to solve the issue with your interior lighting?