Why does my 95' Buick Riviera keep randomly dying in the middle of the road?

Asked by Sep 23, 2014 at 01:57 PM about the 1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe

This morning I was driving down the street and I was braking to stop at a stoplight, and
the car died (RPM and speed went to zero). This has happened before and there isn't
really rhyme or reason for it. I thought it was the air conditioner, but this time when it
died, I didn't have the air conditioner on, just the radio and headlights. It tends to
happen when I am slowing down to turn or stop at a stoplight, it hasn't ever died when I
am going fast (at least not so far). I am a college student and I have a job, so this is
really worrying me. My dad replaced the mass flow air sensor, heads, and the ignition
switch, he also cleaned it really well. It has been happening more frequently (every few
weeks) and I really need to know what is wrong. Can anybody guess what the problem
is?

Also, I sat there for five minutes before it would start again, but the gear shift would still move, and if it is off, then the gear shift won't move from park. Headlights and radio also stayed on.

1,215

Start by having the cam and crank sensors checked. I too experienced the exact same problems with our 95 S/C Riv.

So how long ago did you replace those sensors? I honestly just want to buy myself some time until I can buy another cars, so if it doesn't quit on me for another 4-5 months then that would be perfect.

1,215

Its been 2-3 yrs. since I replaced those sensors. Please reminded they are an easy fix especially the cam sensor and the parts are not expensive . The crank sensor does require one removing the harmonic balancer. I would really hate for you to get rid of the Riviera.

155

My 95 Riviera also does this from time to time. Not as often as yours does but it still does. I have been wondering what could be causing this and how hard it would be and costly it would be to get it fixed. Thanks Alvin1966 for adding your suggestion about checking the cam and crank sensors checked. I will look into it and see if does the trick.

Check vacuum hoses