why could anti lock and brake lights come on intermittantly for several weeks then go solid

Asked by Jun 21, 2015 at 03:41 PM about the 1997 Buick Regal 4 Dr LS Sedan

I have a 97 Buick Regal LS and the anti lock lights started coming on intermittantly for
several weeks then the brake light came on with it intermittantly for a short periuod at
which time they both went on solid for 2 weeks at which time the alternator went. Once
the alternator was replaced the lights went off for a week now they are both coming on
intermittantly again. Any idea as to what could be causing this. If I shut the car off and
restart they will go off sometimes. It seems they always come on when I first start to
excellerate after having started the car and brake when putting car in gear or from an
excellerating position. I am afraid something could be starting to drain the alternator
again and in 7 weeks it will need replacing again but don't really know if there is any
connection. Code can't be read as of now because the lights are intermittant. I have
plenty of brake. Doesn't seem to be any problems there. I would apprecialte any
ideas....

95

Have you checked your brake fluid lately?

I have a few months ago. was OK but will have it checked again. Thank you very much for responding....

Doesn't explain why they went off for a week once alternator was replaced though...That's the strange thing....

95

is it possible that whoever repaired the alternator could have added a little fluid for you?

Best Answer

I don't think so... I will ask... The last 2 times I have taken the car out now though and driven considerable distances like 30 miles, got stuck using the break a lot in a 2 hour traffic jam and for some reason they did not com on at all, and I know no one has put any break fluid in since the last time out with the car 3 times ago when they were coming on.Of that I am certain.... Doesn't seem to make any sense...

95

When the system is just a little bit low, if you use them often you will pump the system pressure up that will turn out the light. Then if it sits for a while the pressure will drop and light comes back on. My advice would be to have a friend who knows or a pro check it out.

Thank you so much! I did call my local Buick dealer's service dept and even took it to after market parts place who had a computer to check and of course the lights were not on because even though they were on when I got there they said the car had to be off to put on there little computer and because the car was not in gear and lights wouldn't come on they could not read any codes. At that time I called the local Dealer's service dept and they pretty much said would have to wait until lights were solid on that they wouldn't be able to read either unless they were. My main concern was that if whatever drained that initial alternator had something to do with the lights coming on because that's how it all started the first time that it might happen again eventually. The alternator went 2 weeks after the lights stayed solid initially. Which of course could also just have been coincidence I guess... I thank you very much for your time and efforts....Going to take it and have someone check the brake fluid tomorrow... Will let you know...:)

Could you tell me how then went on your Buick a year ago. I'm having the same problems