Will not start

Bekey Lee

Asked by Nov 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM about the 2003 Buick Century Base

My car has not started since we checked the 10 amp fuse for the gauge cluster. It started long
enough to move the car forward to get in to the fuse panel located on the passenger side. Turned the
car off checked the fuse and tried to start it again nothing. We have replaced the battery - it was old
anyway- gotten the started checked -3 times good- and checked every single fuse. All were good.
We even turned the car on for and hour or two to hopefully reset any security feature still nothing. All
accessories work just won't turn over, cannot hear anything but the injectors clicking.

So the engine will crank but won't start? You say you hear injectors but how would you hear those over the engine spinning. The only time the injectors pulse is when the cam or crank sends a signal to tell them to pulse. The only time those sensors get a signal is while the engine is spinning. If the engine isn't even spinning then the clicking you hear is either the starter solenoid or the relays clicking when the key is turned to on position. I'm slightly confused and hoping for more info to try to help. If its cranking then you need to check for spark and fuel pressure

The engine is not coming on. My brother says the noise we hear clicking is the injectors, so I am not positive. It could be the starter. I can barley hear a clicking noise at all, but it is there. The engine is not spinning at all. We even tried to jump start it too. That is all I have really....

You checked both large ignition 1 and ignition 2 fuses? If they are good then the starter solenoid should click quite loudly when you try to start it then again when you release the key. The faint clicking noises are the relays going on and off inside the fuse box. If you dont hear the solenoid click loudly then make sure both connections at the starter are tight. If they are then you can try jumping the starter with a plastic handled screwdriver. Big terminal to little terminal. If the engine turns then test the ignition switch to see if it is sending power to the starter s terminal. Its the small one. If the engine doesn't turn then it sounds like the starter solenoid is bad. Even if the large B terminal on the starter is not getting power the solenoid should still click when you turn the key. If the solenoid clicks when you turn the key and it clicks when you try to jump the starter and still nothing then try to jump the starters two big terminals. If it starts up then its definitely the solenoid. Either way the started needs replaced.

Bekey Lee

Well the problem with my car is the computer under the dash by the speaker on the passenger side. We are trying to get it fixed at a shop my friend works, it is taking awhile so that he can keep the cost down for me. Thought I would let you all know that.

Do u program it over

Chiekh Taher

My 2000 Buick Century won't start... I put some coolant/antifreeze in but I turn the key and it doesn't even crank. The lights come on but no crank. Wagadugu786@gmail.com

Just to give you all an update. The car was never repaired and still have no idea what actually happened to it. I junked it this past May.

my 97 Century start for 2 seconds then stop

Luke Jones

so i bought a 1990 century and it ran fine the first couple days... but then it died and now will start early in the morning before the heat comes and has been sitting all night but dies after 5 mins then will turn over but wont start, i changed the battery, spark plugs, plug wiring, and the fuel filter (cause the car had been sitting from the previous owner... figured that was the problem) but it turns over, just dies after i let go of the key?

You have to tap on the starter to get it to crank over why somebody inside turning the key