2006 Town and Country engine stumbles and sometimes stalls after fill up.

255

Asked by Jan 10, 2013 at 09:58 PM about the 2006 Chrysler Town & Country LX

I have a 2006 Town and Country with the 3.3L V6. The last four times I filled the gas tank the engine spits and sputters after running for 2 - 3 minutes. Sometimes it will even stall out. It will re-start after cranking for 4 - 5 seconds and then runs fine. It only does this right after I fill the tank and doesn't do it again until the next fill up. Thought that I might have water in the tank so I added a bottle of HEET to see if it would cure the problem, no effect at all. Any suggestions?

That was my first thought, that you have water in there that gets stirred up when you put gas in...I don't know what HEET is, if it is alcohol it should work, if not try an alcohol based product specifically made as 'water remover', as it will mix with the water and burn through...OR, you are over filling, topping it off too much and the vapor recovery charcoal gets saturated and takes a few miles to purge. When the pump nozzle clicks off, stop. Don't put any more gas in

OK HEET has methanol, bio-alcohol, same stuff that is added to gas (at least in Calif) up to 10% anyway...try another product. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that stuff, it's just that they call it "gas line anti freeze" and ethanol might work better if there is a LOT of water

98,125

There is a emissions system vapor collecting device back at the tank that might be failing or getting raw gas in it. It's supposed to send fumes to the engine to be burned. When you fill up, stop pumping gas when it clicks off. Don't try topping off to the next dollar and see if that makes a difference.