I have a 2004 T&C, I bought a wiring harness to put a JVC stereo in. I hooked all the wires up by color. It gets power but does not have any sound come out of speaker.

10

Asked by Nov 16, 2014 at 03:51 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Limited AWD

If I put in the OEM stereo and let it come on you can hear the CD.  If you then unhook
it and put the wiring harness with JVC stereo then the JVC plays.  If you turn car off
and turn it back on there is no sound from the JVC.  If you then unhook the JVC, hook
up the OEM, unhook the OEM and hook up JVC then the sound comes on. Any ideas
why it would act so strangely?  There is a blue/whire wire not hooked up, but that
seems to be an atena amplifier, not anything to do with power or speakers

18,370

Hook the blue and white wire from the radio up to the wiring harness blue and white. It will turn on the factory amplifier. At least use crimp connectors on all wire you connect.

18,370

The way you were doing it the amp was being kicked on by the factory head unit. You were leaving the key on when swapping the JVC and the amp was staying on. When you turned the key off then back on with the JVC it couldn't kick the amp on.

10

Thanks for your response, I hooked the blue/white wire from the JVC to the harness blue wire (there is no blue/white) and it did not work. I need to a) find a harness with a blue/white or b) figure how to make the amp kick on. You put me in the right direction, now to figure out how to circumvent the OEM unit being the only way to kick on the amp.

18,370

The aftermarket harness, did you buy it new? If so it should have come with instructions. Also read the packaging it should tell you if the harness is for a vehicle with a factory amp. Glad I could help, hopefully you'll be rockin some tunes soon.

10

From what I have found there is a brown or brown and white wire that went to the OEM stereo that does not have a corresponding wire in the harness (yes it was new SCOSCHE CR012 ). Looks like I will have to find this wire and connect it to the blue/white wire from the JVC in order to get the amp to kick on. Thanks again for your help

18,370

I looked at scosches web site and looked at the cr12 harness. It sure looks like it has a blue/white stripe wire coming out of it. Maybe yours is packaged wrong? That does happen.

10

This is what Scosches tech sent me, apparently you have to circumvent the amp switch. I am buying a 10 pin to RCA converter (it goes out of the OEM CD changer harness) because ultimately i was just trying to get a mini to play my iPod. But if anyone else has this problem this is the diagram

18,370

Well there you go, LOL.