Where or how do I get a replacement non-chip key for my van? Walmart won't do it because some idiot didn't read his manual and screwed up his electrical system by using the key in the ignition.

Asked by Sep 21, 2013 at 02:01 AM about the 2003 Chrysler Town & Country Limited AWD

I bought a 2003 Town and Country Van, Limited Edition...it only came with one key.  I just
wanted to have a spare key in case I had a brain fart and lock my key in the van.

5,700

Bring your title and id to the local crysler dealership they can cut you a key. But if it is chipped it will cost you. All they need is the vin # and proff of ownership

25,815

First of all, I'd strongly recommend in the future that if you buy a used car/van, etc that you insist on getting BOTH sets of keys that are supposed to come with the vehicle, if they can't provide the 2nd set, walk away (No reason for you to HAVE to make a 2nd set...that's BS). Not sure I'd put my trust in WalMart to make a car key either ....household items, small electronics, no problems ...car keys...A BIG Hell No! (I'd go to a ACE hardware store before going there!). ---------> Ron gives the best advice, go to the Dealer and have one made...expect to ante up more $$ as he says, if there's a security chip embedded in the key and has to be programmed for your vehicle.

You don't need ID and VIN if you already have a key and only want a duplicate, that is for when you lost ALL keys and need a new transponder key for ignition, but you don't need the transponder key to unlock door, a copy of the ignition key with a plain blank will work. But I still don't get the part about Walmart, if you try to use the non transponder key to start the car it will not screw up electronics....it just won't work, worst case is anti theft security might have to be re set but no damage

Just an afterthought, my car is idiot proof, if the drivers seat is unoccupied, key in ignition or not, it is a 'proximity key' that the BCM will know if the key is inside the car, even like on the floor.. the doors will not lock. I wanted to warm it up and run defroster one day when it was 15ยบ and lock it for a few minutes but no can do. More manufacturers should do that.

111,075

I have had several keys made in the past and had trouble with all of them working properly until I started using Ace Hardware to make my keys. Every one of the keys I have had made by Ace has worked properly. I agree with Racer_X about using Ace. I will go no where else.