Air Filter

70

Asked by Dec 20, 2015 at 08:23 PM about the 1999 Chrysler Town & Country Limited

I have a 1999 Town and Country and was
wondering if there is supposed to be a
house on the back of the box that the air
filter goes on mine it's just a open hole

83,785

Usually there is a air duct that runs from the front of the car to the air cleaner, sounds like something is missing, but probably is ok. As long as there is a air filter and no electrical wires or components laying around.

70

Will it hurt anything by not having it and where can I get one

83,785

No, as long as the check engine light is not on. You can try and find the rest of the duct work in a junk yard or order it from the dealer.

70

The check engine light does come on and it pulls a code for the O2 sensor could not having that air duct cause that

83,785

Possible, on some model cars there is a sensor in that duct work but I am not sure. That is why I ask if there are any wires laying around in that area. Remember what the code was?

70

Yes it was P137 I believe it was for O2 sensor post cat

83,785

You should get that fixed, New 02 sensor. It is part of controlling the air fuel mixture which makes a difference in how the car runs. Here are a list of causes, non of which would be caused by that air duct being missing:> Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 - Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted - Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection - Inappropriate fuel pressure - Faulty fuel injectors - Intake air leaks may be faulty - Exhaust gas leaks

70

I've had two mechanics tell me not to worry about the sensor if I change it it would be the third one since July

83,785

Then there is a cause that they are not finding. Need to find someone sharper. The 02 sensor is a major player in how your engine runs performance wise and gas mileage.

The MAF, Mass Air Flow sensor must be between the filter and throttle body and working. Does your engine even resemble this picture and is that what you are talking about? click image

70

No the Air filter housing is on the driver side I didn't notice the MAF sensor I'll have to check. I'm talking about the box that holds the filter has a opening in the back close to the driver side front tire

Oh, ok. But as long as the intake air passes through the filter and MAF, and the PCV hose is attached somewhere, should be not much, if any, problem

The lower snorkel helps keep liquid water out of airbox (filter)