My boyfriend's car thinks it is running out of gas when it's facing downhill! It actually runs out! What can this be?

30

Asked by Nov 09, 2013 at 07:02 PM about the 2006 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible

The car could have a full tank, but if we sit downhill in traffic long enough, slowly the
gauge will move (and we can watch it happen) to the empty slot. This would be fine if it
was just the gauge and we knew the car would still keep running, but the car actually acts
like it's out of gas and shuts down… until we can get the car level or uphill.. (either is fine)
… What could this be?

...okay it's got to be a seven percent grade or more, but the fuel pump needs fuel in that to keep it's little electric motor cool....knowing this never let it drop down to 1/8 tank...top it up...I personally fill the tank up FULL on payday (2) two vehicles....count on shelling out the money...but it isn't as if this isn't going to get used up...in time~

30

Thanks Judge - but that isn't what's happening. It literally empties from even a 1/4 tank (or more) if we sit downhill long enough… and this is a manufacturing FLAW if there is no way to fix this!

okay...just checked and there are no Flaws or recalls with this Fuel tank....what must be happening is the fuel pump is faulty...if the gauge is reading none then starts providing none...angle not withstanding the fuel pump is faulty...it would seem...of course one must check the fuel pressure regulator...but if it dips down in level and acts like there isn't any gas would thing the pump is faulty (the gauge is operated off a lever on the assembly)~...a few choices~ https://www.google.com/#q=2006+Chrysler+Sebring+Touring+Convertible +fuel+pump

101,925

How steep is the hill? Will it do the same thing if the tank is full? I have never heard of this on normal street use unless it is a really really steep incline.

30

If it's only a slight incline it still does it but slower… So if the tank is at about a quarter tank it can go down to empty if we park it on a slight hill… we just don't and we also have to always instruct valet parkers not to park it downhill for the same reason. It sucks. But the steep incline is where it's SUPER noticeable. We can watch it go down near empty from even a full tank if we sit there long enough…

21,485

and if the tank is totally full you probably get a 3/4 or less reading, I get it

101,925

Then I'm going to go with what Judge stated and the fuel pump assembly might just be going bad. The only other thing I can think of is the baffle inside the tank has come loose and is no longer slowing the fuel transfer rate from uphill/downhill. What do you think Judge?

yes of course tennisshoes....been fighting kbro...he is saying that all of my stuff is bogus and everyone hates me...I told him there are a few loyalties here and cited you and Racer_X...basically the "dirty dozen" who got a hat from henry and myself~ of course a fuel pump...what else a wierdo blockage?...a fuel pump relay that only works once in a while?...saaa~

fuel pressure regulator~?

see would not cause and effect the fuel level...nor the amount of delivery~

you could be right about the baffle there tennisshoes...wouldn't mind a short stack of waffles...speakin' of~

30

Thank you both… I will show this all to my BF and we'll see what we can find out! This has been very helpful!

Wow...Lisa Jey, I see that you're a writer of some proportion...honored to be in your service...to you prefer Vodka or Gin in that martini?....two olives? or a cocktail onion for the Gibson experience?~ feel free to click on my photo to "talk" about things...sending me a PM~...honored~