I'm looking into getting a used pt cruiser with 2.4 turbo. I'm concerned though because of the timing belt issues and fallout when they fail. Does the turbo engine have the same issues? And the turbo?

Asked by Apr 22, 2015 at 01:17 AM about the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT

Is there a difference between 05-08 years? What is difference between interference and
non? Which one does the 2.4t have? What about turbo or transmission problems? Would
appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance.

355

I can't answer all your questions, but if you peruse this website for Cruisers, specifically, you should be able to get a fairly extensive overview of the types of problems you can expect, how easy they are to fix, and how extensive and what repairs will cost when they have to be performed. As an original owner of a 2006 non-turbo, which I am selling presently, I can give you my personal insight. The closer you get to the 100K mileage mark, starting from 80K, the more you can expect things to go wrong with models from 2005 to the discontinuation of this model. Among the common failures are radiators, radiator fans, water pumps, suspension, head gaskets, and electrical problems. Of these, I have the good fortune to not have had the transmission problems of which so many other owners have complained. From the car's inception to about 2003-04, many of these owners voice that they have had few problems and have more than 150,000 miles on their vehicles and some who report that they still enjoy theirs with more than 200,000 mile on them, with few problems. Apparently, Chrysler changed some facets the vehicles around 2004-05, especially with the transmission. Keep in mind that turbo repair/replacement can be cheap but never inexpensive. This is just a nutshell of the testimonies you can expect to read on this website. Keep in mind that the turbo versions run at about 180hp compared to the 150hp non-turbo, but the turbo requires premium fuel, which will add significantly to the expense of keeping the car on the road. Right now, here in Houston, 87 octane runs about $2.25/gallon. Premium is about 20-30 cents more per gallon, which isn't too bad as long as prices don't return to the $4.00 gallon mark while you own the turbo. Just some fuel for thought, so to speak. Anyway, if this helps, I'm happy to oblige.