2006 Water pump failed at 23,000 miles amd Porsche won't help!

Asked by Feb 03, 2011 at 06:47 AM about the 2006 Porsche Boxster Base

I've owned this 2006 Boxster for about 1 1/2 yrs and put less than 2000 miles since I've owned it. I will concede the warranty ran out in June but due to years, not miles. I was driving it last week and the power steering went out and red warning light came on. Had it towed to Porsche dealer and found water pump had seized and snapped alternator belt. Dealer tried to get Porsche NA to "help"  with reapair because they even felt it was a premature failure, Porsche refused, I called and the same result, they hid behind warranty experation. I will state again I understand the warranty expired I was just asking for help, not full repair cost. Bottom line I paid the $1100.00 which included the tow.....I would have hoped for some assistance. Anyone else have problems with reliabilty?

715

Watch out for the intermediate shaft. If this goes, you're going to need a $15K engine (my engine blew at about the same miles you have on yours). As you've found out, when things break on your Porsche, it gets expensive very fast! I highly recommend buying an extended warranty. Even if its $3K, you want to be able to sleep at night. The Boxster is possibly the best roadster every built. You can throw these cars around and they take it. I think they're very comfortable, get decent gas mileage and are fun to drive. The mid engine design is awesome and I can take corners at 60mph without worrying about the back end coming around (like my 911). You can drive these sloppy and they still perform well.

525

You have run into the Porsche/Audi/VW customer service issue shared by thousands. That being said, once the car is out of warranty they own zero responsibility to the owner. I would suggest you consider purchasing a warranty repair service contract to avoid serious repair costs. These come from different companies with different level coverages, etc. So please do proper and serious research. I would say you got off easy for $1,100 bucks repairing a Porsche. Be sure and study up on servicing requirements. It could have been that the previous owner failed to replace the coolant at the specified interval, usually around 3 years to insure proper lubrication as well as rust protection, etc. I hope you have the service manual of the car and that all proper servicing has been done. If not, take care of that for peace of mind and longevity of your beautiful Porsche. Good luck and please drive carefully. Too many loonies with licenses out there.

715

Right before my first scheduled maintenance, I brought my Boxster in for some warranty work. The stereo wasn't working right, the ignition key cylinder was broken and the seat belt dummy light was stuck on (broken seat belt buckle receptacle). These items were repaired under warrant. The stereo went out again and was replaced again and as I posted above, my intermediate shaft bearing went bad and shot the shaft through the block. Hopefully my car will now be reliable.

2,220

If your good mechanically, the water pump is an easy fix on these cars. That said, avoid "stealerships" and find a good independent shop. Porsche "race specilists" are a good bet, they are always upgrading these cars and know them inside and out. The intermediate shaft bearing is a 98% sure bet it will not fail. When it's time for a clutch, then I'd change the IMS bearing and put in a new rear main seal while I'm in there. Good luck.