how many cylenders it has?

5

Asked by Jul 07, 2008 at 03:35 AM about the 2007 Mazda RX-8 Sport

75

none

10

It's a rotary...

25

None! It has a rotary or Wankel engine with two 654cc rotors (1.3 litres in total)

45

why dont u search before asking such a question RX=ROTARY EXPERIMENTAL.

none

45

i believe the rx-8 have four rotors of 654cc. that would make it 2.6 liters total

45

haha thats a good one!

35

>: I . . . Triangles.

85

You guys all freaking kill me. Really. The renesis is just a new and amped up 13B from the rx-7 FC and FD generations, but no turbo option, or standard as in the latter generation. The new RX-8's carry this new rotary (Two Rotors, by the way) under the name Renesis. Putting a displacement on it is rather dumb, because then people try to compare it to a standard 4 cycle engine with CYLINDERS and then get confused. It is not directly comparable due to the nature of a rotary, which is too indepth for this small forum. And with that, the Two rotor Renesis engine is a Rotary, and has no CYLINDERS. thanks for wasting all of our time, meet Google.com.

55

OVER 9000!!! :D

105

Obviously none. It has two 654 cc rotors which in turn makes the engine 1.3 liters in displacement.

8,695

It's a rotary, so the typical piston/cylinder relation ship doesn't apply... If you want it to have a cylinder, then it has two... the chamber where the triangle rotates... It's displacement is stated to be 1.3L... How they come to that number is a little fuzzy since typical way of calculating displacement doesn't apply. And not all take it's displacement as 1.3L... Japan licenses it as ~2.0L car... Most racing leagues will place the 1.3L in as a ~2.5L for categorization... If you think of it as pistons/cylinders a rotary is basically three pistons all working in one cylinder. (each side of the rotor is a piston top, and the cylinder is the chamber) I don't know where they pull the 1.3L from my guess is the volume of 'empty' space in any given rotor location, but I'm not sure. The 1.3L we're talking about is a two rotor motor based on the designs by Felix Wankel, a German engineer If you want/need anymore information, consult google, wikipedia, and/or your owners manual.

105

Its called 1.3 because the rotors are 654 cc in size. Thats how they get the displacement, by the dimensions of the combustion chamber(s).

110

Actually its considered a 6 cylinder, not a 2 cylinder. Each rotor is considered the equivalent of a 3 cylinder engine. There for a standard street 2 rotor engine is a 6 cylinder, a performance 3 rotor engine is a 9 cylinder and a race 4 rotor engine is a 12 cylinder engine (only they sound much sweeter than a standard 12 cylinder).

25

Wait before all you guys get worked up on this question. What the heck is a "cylender" anyway. Is this some new- age European way of spelling cylinder. But to answer your question the RX-8 doesn't even have a motor. It is powered by the confused look on Mustang owners faces as they are behind by in a twin turbo 20B RX-8. "Well I looked under the hood it didn't look like much. plus the motor said 2.0 Liters. I thought I could take em". Just call it wishful thinking on my part.

25

2 Rotors

45

It's powered by an alien technological advanced engine with neither cylinders nor rotors.

45

Oh and by the way... it's considered a 2 cylinder engine by insurance companies. It makes no sense to consider it a 6 cylinder because have you ever heard of a 1.3 liter 6 cylinder engine? no.

Rotarys are gay

45

And uh... what is your reason for that? Don't say something like that and not back it up. You have no idea what you're talking about.

sorry boss. you dont know what I know, There stupid little motors that sound gay and use heaps of gas. MIght be a matter of opinion but anyone in thier right mind thinks there stupid little things

5,405

Pretty close, but the X is not for experimental, but export

45

Hey, shut the hell up. You don't even know how to spell rotaries. Pistons FTL

55

none, its a rotary engine

110

Maybe not a 1.3L but the Mazda MX-3 had a 1.8L V6... Its not 1.3L, but not much larger. I'm sure that if you look around hard enough you can find some more small V6s. It doesn't matter what the displacement is... If I wanted to I could build a 2.0L V10, it would just be really small.

35

It's a twin rotor, 13B Renesis