1997 Chrysler Town and Country cranks but won't start

Aaron Blenkush

Asked by Feb 21, 2013 at 04:19 PM about the 1997 Chrysler Town & Country LX AWD

1997 Chrysler Town and Country minivan

The problems started with the engine dying in the middle of traffic a couple times. I could started it
back up immediately when that happened. Now when I try to start it, the engine just cranks over and
over. I tried starting it a few hours later and it turned on immediately, ran for about 5 minutes, then
died, and I wasn't able to start it back up again until about 15 minutes later. The check engine light is
on. I know I need to get it towed to a mechanic; I'm just wondering if anybody has an idea as to
what the problem may be?

it could be a few things but see if you got spark at the plugs if u dont either your plugs are bad or your coil packs are bad but if you do have spark put just a splash of fuel in the throttle body and if it fires but you have to keep dumping gas into it it could be the fuel pump, sending unit or the throttle body

Aaron Blenkush

It turned out to be two faulty sensors - the crank sensor and the cam sensor. One of them (I can't remember which) was so corroded that the mechanic had to partially disassemble the transmission in order to get it out to replace it with a new sensor. That was unfortunate, because the cost for replacing the sensors was $400, but it was $1000 total with the labor involved in disassembling / reassembling the transmission. This was at my local Chrysler dealership. We've had the car back from the shop for a couple weeks now, and it is running like a charm.

Matt Folk

wow crank sensor 45 dollars easy to pull out and cam 45 dollars was on left side . one or 2 bolts to take out to replace. same problem i have.. im getting no spark after new coil pack.

Matt Folk

u got ripped off man

Aaron Blenkush

Maybe so, but they were up front about it. Said it's normally easy to replace as you said but due to the corrosion it required disassembly of the transmission in order to get at it.