wipers won't work???

55

Asked by Feb 15, 2012 at 07:38 PM about the 1998 Chrysler Town & Country LXi

1998 Chrysler Town & Country LXi

My windshield wipers won't work.  The turn signal works and the washer fluid works, but the wipers themselves won't move.  Replaced the switch - still won't work.  Any ideas?  Please help!

105

Wiper motors might need replacing. I have a Plymouth Horizon & the same problem, but I'm fairly sure it's the switch on mine.

55

Ended up taking it to the dealership - it was a wiring problem from the body control module to the switch.

230

On the 1996 Chrysler T&C, the BCM controls the front wipers for delay and speed. You can still push the end of the control stick and the wash and wipe function should work. Also, your rear wipers should still work. If this is all true to the condition of your car, then the problem is an open resistor in the BCM. Remove the BCM, take off the metal circuit board cover and expose the circuit board - just 4 star screws hold the cover in place. Resistor #409 is key to the front wiper control circuit. The value of the resistor is 1.240 K ohm, 1% tolerance, 1/4 watt. Use an axial lead resistor to replace the tiny chip type flat resistor that is on the board. After soldering the leads flat to the board, use a dot of ATV or hot glue gun glue to hold the new resistor firmly in place. The resistor 409 is marked on the circuit board. The fact that resistor #409 opens is a known problem. The replacement resistor costs about 4 cents.

150

Great post autokarma!! It worked for me. I put a 1200 ohm in series with a 39 ohm resistor since that's what I had available. See photo.