why the pronounced @ loud thud when shifting into reverse

Asked by Feb 12, 2015 at 11:32 PM about the 2000 Saturn S-Series 3 Dr SC2 Coupe

On occasion, the car makes a delayed @ loud  THUD when shifting into
reverse.  Seems worse  it is so cold.  The transmission is NOT visibly  apparent.  
No warning light.  Transmission is full to to the top

I know how to drive a car... nothing else !

19,630

Unfortunately its a common problem with the S series. The transmissions had that problem going into 1st gear from park as well. Have it looked at by a REPUTABLE transmission shop.

1,205

if you go to the Saturn fans website there's a whole wealth of information you can get from that website its called Saturn neilla or something just look up Saturn fans website transmission issues and you'll find a whole bunch of information that could help you it's too much to list here but I believe there is some kind of condition where you can put the car in reverse already backed up against a building and it helps relieve some kind of solenoid pressure issue in the transmission but you'll find out more on that website or others take a look at them.

1,205

I have a Saturn sc2 a 2001 and I put Mobil 1 full synthetic transmission fluid in there with two flushes and two fill ups so the same fluid Mobil 1 synthetic full synthetic and my transmission runs real smooth those transmissions are a little rough to begin with so I would put synthetic fluid in there when you do the job of replacing the fluid I'll look up that website and link it on here too.

1,205

ok here's that website I was talking about they have a lot of great information about Saturn's on there enjoy hope it helps. http://www.saturnfans.com/foru ms/showthread.php?t=77671