Why did car suddenly start making loud noise?

Asked by Oct 06, 2013 at 01:02 PM about the 1999 Saturn S-Series 3 Dr SC1 Coupe

This morning, I'm driving and after a stop sign, I take off and my car's engine suddenly
gets a lot louder. I have not much wisdom on cars but first impression was that it may be
a muffler issue (since I've had that before on another car). When I get to around 30 mph,
it gets really loud and just continues to get louder the faster I go. When I got home, I
checked the oil and it was pretty low (although never saw the oil light go on) so I added
some oil. Restarted engine later and it's still making the same louder sound. So,
obviously I'll take it in but just wanted thoughts. Also should I get it towed or drive to local
repair shop - I don't know if it would do more damage to drive it there. Thanks.

1,545

How low was "low"? You never go by that light. We call that the "change engine light" for a reason...

235

I agree with Alex, never wait until the oil light comes on because that's really bad for your car. Make sure to check your oil frequently and get oil changes every 3,000 miles. Could be an exhaust leak. It doesn't sound to me like it will cause more damage to drive it so having it towed would be an irrational expense. Drive it to a local repair shop you TRUST. I cannot stress enough that having your car looked at by someone you trust is important so they don't overcharge you or cause more damage to your car to get more business out of you.