My car is making loud noises

50

Asked by Jul 05, 2010 at 05:16 PM about the 2002 Saturn S-Series 3 Dr SC1 Coupe

My car starts to make a loud noise when I drive any faster than 50-60mk/hr. It is
very loud and sometimes more noisy when the road curves. Maybe something to do
with my axle? As well, when I am reversing with my wheel cranked all the way to
either side there is a grinding noise in my front end, feels like it is under my gas
pedal. I can hear it and feel it.

475

What is the loud sound like? More of a grinding, whining, clunking, crunching, etc.? When the wheel is cranked all the way, there's a bit of strain on the power steering system, and the instruction manual specifically states not to leave it on the wheel lock for over x seconds. I -THINK-, that your power steering pump might be worn out, but I'm not familiar with the steering system.

50

the loud noise is more of a loud fan noise, almost like a loud propeller noise. No clunking or grinding or crunching at all.

475

Well, I think the driving noise and the reverse grinding are connected. I think it would be a good idea to check the power steering hoses for cracks or leaks, and confirm that the fluid is at the correct level. The other possibility that I would consider is maybe wheel bearings being worn out. To test this, you park the car, get out, and push on the top and sides of each wheel. If one of the bearings are bad, you will be able to move that wheel's toe and camber very slightly by hand. I feel it may possibly be the power steering pump, but I'm no expert, so I invite others to submit their thoughts.