1995 SC2 Sputtering and Stalling

Asked by Jun 19, 2015 at 04:00 PM about the 1995 Saturn S-Series 2 Dr SC2 Coupe

My daughter's SC2 has 163,000 miles on it.  I just bought it and replaced the battery, starter, alternator, wiper motor and hot wired the fan (because I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it) and the AC pump and serpentine belt.  As soon as we started using the AC it began sputtering and dying right after she left the house.  We have drowning in Denver in rain the past month, I thought maybe there was water in the lines and put some Lucas fuel treatment in.  It seemed to work until it got hot outside again and now everytime she leaves the house with the AC on it dies.  The RPM's go up too.  When the car dies, she pulls over and turns everything off and it usually starts right up.  today it took a little longer.

1998 Saturn SC2 I have a similar problem. 162k miles (go baby go!) New clutch New sparkplugs New fuel filter Freshly cleaned GSR Valve New crank shaft sensor installed Symptoms: Sputtering during idle, worse during acceleration RPMs rise during acceleration, however acceleration is weak Seems to run better when I keep it in a lower gear (3rd gear running at 35 MPH [normally I'd cruise in 4th gear]) Check Engine light is on, sometimes blinks on and off? I talked to a mechanic buddy, he said something about coils, wires and maybe fuel pump? Help! Thanks all

1,285

Might be your throttle position sensor I had rapid advanced idle when my 2001 SC2 was at idle it would idle up high & low all by its self until I changed the throttle position sensor its at the top of the engine on a twin cam motor.