1996 5.7 4x4 suburban died while driving down the road

40

Asked by Apr 25, 2011 at 02:05 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4WD

The kid was on his way to work when the engine just died and would not start after that.
Replaced the fuel pump about a month ago. The fuel pressure seems to be good (don't have a gauge, but it squirts pretty good when the valve core is opened). Fuel pump runs.
Has a good spark.
All fuses are good.
When a bit of starting fluid is sprayed into the air filter, it starts and runs as long as the starting fluid lasts (a couple of seconds). I know starting fluid ain't a great idea, but it was available.
Any ideas on what I should look at next?

Thanks in advance.
GWF

40

I should also mention that it is about a hundred mile drive to the nearest place that has the tools needed to check fuel pressure, codes, etc. Thanks again GWF

185

If there's fuel available at the throttle, good spark, and its gettin air. it running off of starting fluid confirms everything cept for the fuel. so, my best guess is the the injectors aint sprayin any fuel or theres not enough fuel available to spray. a fresh fuel filter and/or fuel pressure regulator might do it or maybe even cleaning or replacing the injectors.

40

I put a new filter on it last night, didn't do any good. Going to try the fpr next.

40

I finally got around to pulling the upper intake off. It is FILTHY in there, Is there any way to clean the lower intake without removing it, or running all that junk don't into the engine?

955

You could have an injector pulse issue (controlled by the PCM). Take the injectors off and crank it and see if it sprays fuel (away from electronics/sources of heat) if none do then you probably have a PCM isse or wiring issue, if only a few spray fuel then you may have bad injectors) If it runs when you are manually dumping fuel into it and quits after you stop and you replaced the pump, regulator, and filter and the pressure is 50+ PSI at the rail then that is the most likely issue. It would be easy to just swap in a known good PCM and see if it starts.

10

I have a 1996 k1500. I replaced the pmc, spider injectors, and just about every other sensor on it. I put a hole new sending unit on it. It still wont start, unless I dump fuel in the throttle body. What's wrong???

I have been trying to smog my 99 Tahoe I've replaced injectors did a full tune up an fuel pump an filters but the check engine light comes on when I fill the tank up an won't pass smog any answers

Make sure your wiring harnesses is grounded it has many gounding points most are behind the grill and near the battery

I have this exact vehicle and had exact problem. It was MAFS...mass air flow sensor