k1500 suburban,5.7 4x4 rough idle

195

Asked by Dec 16, 2015 at 09:33 AM about the 1995 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4WD

I have a problem with my suburban it idles
rough and only stays on when gas pedal is
being pushed,I've changed out rotor distrib
cap,iac and fuel pump with no change please
help it's the only vehicle we have at the
momentAAny advice is useful and I pray it's evn
more so helpful and gets this thing running it's
all my family has to get around in

18,775

ok, lets stop throwing parts at it. Have you checked for any codes? Google search "how to check gm obd1 codes" if you dont know how. Its easy, all you need is a paper clip. Check all your vacuum lines, especially the one going to your fuel pressure regulator on the throttle body. Also try plugging off your vacuum line for the pcv and brake booster individually to see if it changes anything. they can both fail and create large vacuum leaks. How are the plugs and wires?

195

Fixing to check obd1 now I'll let you know how it works out and plugs could use a change and distributor cables look pretty fair but I may as well change them out as for a whole shebang tune up I figure.thanks for responding I do appreciate it very much brah!!!

195

Ok checked the codes like you suggested,and only code 12 is. Coming up over and over, not sure what that really means but doing my home work on it now hope to hear from you and hope I get this thing running the way it should be! Thanks brah I'd never got this far without ya man!! Many thanks

18,775

Code 12 just means the system is working. That sucks. Check out the plugs and if it looks like it needs a tune up start there. Check for vacuum leaks and maybe check the tps. Again, Google is a good resource. You will need a multimeter for that.

195

Thanks bud I'd be lost without ya man,I'm going new plugs and cables now,thanks again!!!

195

Ok bud no change in behavior in the way it acts,symptoms led me to believe the fuel pressure regulator went out because it was shooting black smoke out the tail pipes,Ali g with super carb on spark plugs and wet with gas aswell,a bit of gas coming out the tail pipes,and the oil smells like gas so I've changed out the fpr and another oil change and I'm getting no where with this thing it just doesn't I.prove with everything I've thrown at it.

18,775

Check the map sensor, make sure the vacuum line to it is in good shape too

195

That's the nxt step and along with the ect's I've gone on lots of forums in the past couple of weeks and a lot of people say the same thing about the ect how of its fouled it can send a faulty signal to the ecm, and in turn ecm to the fuel injectors to put more fuel causeing the enrichment in the motor causeing all that problem I'm dealing with,it runs a bit better now,but won't chance driving it untill map sensor and ext sensors are changed out and see whY it does if no change I suspect a timing failure,I hope that's not the case thanks bud for helping me get this far!!

195

Ok New status report ,checked the timing chain for excessive slack and. It was bad so swapped it out with a new one,put my crank to zero ,made sure piston #1was up and under the cap as well,unplugged to.ing advance,tan and black stripe wire, under glove box,plugged it back in after 10 minutes,and went to started with no improvement!!!! Irk Wtf is the problem with this Damn thing any more I'm thinking about throwing in the towel and letting a mechanic look at it,just wondering if you might know anything else I might be missing before I hand it off?

195

I made sure everything was done the same when swapping the chain out,it's impossible to screw up when your mechanically inclined,made sure my crank was at 12 and the top to six lined up while piston #1up Put it back together and then did everything else I posted up top before this post

195

OK UPDATE,GYPSY IS BACK UP AND RUNNING AND DOING GREAT IT HAD TOOK A MAJOR SHIT ON ME DUE TO A WATER COOLANT LINE AT THE UPPER MANIFOLD NEXT TO THE DISTRIBUTOR,IT LEAKED SO BAD IT RUINED MOST TJE COMPONENTS ONTOP INCLUDING THE DISTRIBUTOR, SO AFTER REBUILDING THE ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM, AND THE ENTIRE IGNITION SYSTEM, SHE RUNS LIKE A CHAMP JUST TOOK COUNTLESS FORMS AND TUTORIALS TO GET GYPSY TO COME BACK TO LIFE,THANX ANDREW!!!!!