1996 chevy camaro fuel pump was replaced but new fuel pump will not run

10

Asked by Apr 08, 2014 at 07:14 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe RWD

Fuel pump was bad so I replaced it. Tested new pump while out of tank and it worked. Put tank back in car, now nothing. No hum from pump motor, no fuel being pushed to the cars motor. Fuel sensor works in dash. HELP! Ready to put fuel all over car and light it up.

17,865

Is there electrical power coming to the fuel pump hook-up? Is the ground wire connected and the pump itself properly wired? If tested before placing it in the tank, and it worked, I'd have to guess the issue is with the electrical power coming to the unit itself. If you have power to the hookup, and it is positive to + and ground to -, then was there a fuse that needs to be checked or trip fuse needing to be pushed? Can you disconnect the fuel line just after the tank and see if gas is being pumped out? Did you clean out the tank to remove any and all smudge/junk inside the tank that may have caused a plug in the line? You may have to remove the tank and pump to make sure it is working. (This is an in the tank pump I assume?) If not, and it is external, your in luck to remove and test. Maybe the fuel pump was not the problem and the wires coming to the pump are bad. Run a spare wire to the pump and see if it works.

10

When the key is on and I check the grey wire, it IS hot but still no hum from the pump. I'm having a hard time believing the new pump is bad also. "Is the ground wire connected and the pump itself properly wired?" are you referring to the blk wire in the wiring harness? If so, YES. "If tested before placing it in the tank, and it worked, I'd have to guess the issue is with the electrical power coming to the unit itself.", The pump worked outside the tank, inside the tank while the tank was on the ground and just once while the tank was put back in place! Then nothing... "then was there a fuse that needs to be checked or trip fuse needing to be pushed?" Don't know, can't find one. "You may have to remove the tank and pump to make sure it is working." That's the next step I guess. Not looking forward to this again. I WAS a Chevy fan! This fuel pump in the tank really is a bad idea!

17,865

There is a fuse for the fuel pump. IF you accidently crossed wires or shorted out the connections, the fuse may have blown. Follow the line to where it goes to the fuse block and check it. IF you have a wiring diagram or map of the fuse block, find the fuel pump fuse and check it. If you do have power to the pump, make sure the ground wire is connected to complete the circuit. I agree putti9ng the pump inside the tank is not one of the best ideas Chevy had. I have a fuel sensor that reads the amount of fuel in the tank not working properly, and it is over $500 to $750 to change it out as it means pulling the tank. So if there is electrical power to the tank through the wire, no fuse issue. Ground is the next step in checking. Make sure there is a prop;er ground. Wire from the pump unit to the outside of the tank, then from there to a grounding wire or to a frame piece. Aluminum is not a good ground. MBZ had used metal in the rubber gaskets around the tail and stop lights for years, and used this as a ground connection, and the tail lights always were out. Power on the positive wire to the unit, create another ground to check the ground. If that does not work, I'd sau the wiring o0n the unit may have become lose or disconnected or the unit burned out. :-(