My 1987 Chevy Camaro 2.8L V6 randomly lost all power while driving at about 55 MPH about 2 weeks ago. Manifolds were fiery hot. I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, mass air flow sensor, and other small things to help it run better. Still nothing. I have a little more power, but it is still weak. I can floor the gas and it barely accelerates.

15

Asked by Aug 21, 2015 at 11:30 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

My 1987 Chevy Camaro 2.8L V6 randomly lost all power while driving at about 55 MPH
about 2 weeks ago.  Manifolds were fiery hot.  I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump,
mass air flow sensor, and other small things to help it run better.  Still nothing.  I have a
little more power, but it is still weak.  I can floor the gas and it barely accelerates.

7,025

catalytic converter could be collapsed.

15

I thought that too, so I cut it off but still the same thing. I think it may have something to do with the throttle bottle and the car running way too lean but I just need confirmation on it before I start spending more money.

65,935

Check your ignition timing. If it's now retarded (late) and you haven't moved the distributor the timing chain has jumped. Of course, be sure that the distributor is mounted securely and can't move on it's own. Is the transmission shifting late, all of a sudden, as well? Another sign of a jumped timing chain. HTH. -Jim

65,935

Oh and to see if it's running lean, pull the spark plugs. If the tips (electrodes) are white it's running lean. But that should trigger the check engine or service engine soon light with a trouble code 44. HTH. -Jim

7,025

leaky fuel injector, maybe...