I was told the balance shaft could possibly be bad in my 1995 Buick Riviera Suoercharged car less than 54k miles. Harmonic balancer & motor mounts replaced. Expensive repair?

Asked by Mar 09, 2015 at 01:27 PM about the 1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe

I've replaced everything except for the seats it seems. Is this "marriage" worth saving?
Car is like-new except for this engine vibration. Motor mounts & harmonic balancer
replaced, turbo rebuilt, etc. Now this happens! Can it be something besides a balance
shaft as a mechanic told me? He's been wrong before & it's cost me money.

1,215

What type of problem(s) is the vehicle experiencing?

1,215

I had hope to get a response..but I will offer this opinion/thought. It appear from your statement that the vehicle is vibrating. I too experienced that with my 95, changed everything you have and it was suggested the problem could be balance shaft. Had that checked and NO it wasn't that. The problem may lie in the fact that GM in 95 had two different harmonic balancers for that engine. If by chance you have the original balancer look at the backside/inside and there you will find a bar/plate. The different is the size of this plate/bar. On is larger than the other. Good Luck>>

1,215

And too there are 6-8 different part no.'s The following is the one that solved my problem. Part Number: 88960264.

The 95-99 Riviera crankshaft is balanced from the inside. The crankshaft has to be removed to be balanced. I had the same problem.

10

I had a 96 that had similar problems ... electronics was the issue in my case (and continues to be the issue now ) ... The ICM was replaced after all other stuff failed and that solved the problem ... although it seems to burn up on a regular basis .. about every 18 months or so .. i always keep a backup in the trunk ..weird I know ... I've replaced all electrical parts as well ... .