I have a 1997 Cnevy Suburban that will not start without putting on a 200 amp jump starter once it starts it run fine.

Asked by Jul 06, 2013 at 07:27 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4WD

The battery is fully charge and will crank the engine fine but without the boost it will not start.

First check your battery cable connections. Are they clean and tight? If they're corroded clean or replace them. You can buy just the terminal ends that go on the battery if the cables are still good. Put Vaseline on the battery posts and cable terminals before you hook them back up. They'll never corrode again. Have you load tested the battery? It may have 12 volts but insufficient amps to crank the engine. Remove and bench test the starter. It may be weak or binding. Check your ground connection where it bolts onto the engine or chassis. Is that connection clean and tight? If all the above checks out, remove the spark plugs. All of them. Try spinning the engine over by hand. Does it spin freely? If not there is an internal engine or possibly transmission problem that is causing the engine to bind. This would probably be evidenced by some kind of dreadful noise while the engine is running though. HTH. -Jim

Check Fuel Pressure when cranking - you may need 13.5 to 14.0 Volts to open fuel injectors. Try test by running fuel pump only from charger - you will need to cut and resplice power wire to fuel pump. Easier test - use smll amount of starting fluid at connection on intake from valve cover - it should start and stay running as soon as the alternator increases voltage to get enough fuel pressure