Brakes, something stuck, or something else?

Asked by Jun 06, 2014 at 07:49 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

My car about a week ago started making a high pitched sound coming from the front
brakes. It only happens when I am moving forward or in reverse in a straight line. If I
turn left, right, or braking then the sound stops. I HAVE to be going in a straight line,
which in Denver there are alot of straight roads. When I stop it stops, even when revving
the engine in park, neutral, and in drive with my other foot on the brake. It honestly to
me sounds like a pebble or something is stuck and rubbing against my wheel as I am
driving. That's about all i can describe it as.

I have a few things that I know need fixing such as new tires, brakes need replacing
soon, and the air filter hose has a crack in it (patched with duct tape until I get the time
and place to fix it). Aesthetics aside, this car is doing pretty well for a 1997 Cavalier!
Going from humid Alabama to dry Colorado has been causing problems for it already.

My husband believes its my cracked to pieces hubcaps either rubbing against each
other or a piece of plastic from the hubcap broke off and is lodged in the wheel
somewhere.

The car drives as normal as it has been with no response changes or pulling anywhere
to either side when driving or breaking and the only other real sounds it makes is during
cold weather the engine rattles some but stops after it warms up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

105,385

Most brake pads have "sounders" on the pads, when the lining reaches a certain point the sounder starts rubbing on the rotor making a squealing sound that will stop when you step on the brake pedal, it is a safety item that let's you know it is time to replace the brake pads.