Engine wont start

Asked by Jul 13, 2009 at 01:54 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Venture 3 Dr LS Passenger Van Extended

I have 98 Venture that I bought last year but ran very few. Yesterday I was driving on the highway when the engine just stopped. When I turn the key it just makes a ''click'' noise but it wont turn at all. The other electrical parts (lights, cental locking, etc...) work fine. I even put in a new battery and it does exactly the same thing. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

90

Sounds like the motor may have seized up, get a socket on the bottom pully if possible and see if u can turn it over by hand.

75

first try looking at fuses. if everything is good there, and you said that everything else is working, it could be something called a neutral safety switch. its a mechanism that connects to the transmission and doesn't allow the car to start when any gear other than neutral or park. when this switch goes out, which it happened to me, you can jump the switch until replacement. there is no "safe" way to bypass it till a mechanic can look at it.