Passing Gear Problems

Asked by Nov 23, 2013 at 01:03 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Venture 3 Dr LS Passenger Van

1998 Chev Venture.  When I press the accelerator as if to pass the I feel a down shift
and the engine accelerates but it doesn't seem fast enough.  As I approach 60 it
seems to no longer want to accelerate though you can hear the engine is really running
fast.  When I let up on the accelerator enough for the engine to upshift I can get a little
more acceleration, though not as quickly as it used to.  It used to get to 75 or more
pretty quickly.  No more.

To clarify the not fast enough I mean the acceleration is not fast enough. The engine itself speeds up normally,

Check the automatic transmission fluid if you can (some have a 'permanently sealed' type affair) parking brake set, in park with the engine running...there should be two hash marks full Hot and full Cold...the level should be between these two marks...if it isn't would start looking for a leak somewhere....perhaps at the radiator connections~

quite seriously your throttle position sensor has got to be worn by now...this would give these symptoms....as well~ https://www.google.com/#q=1998+Chevrolet+Venture+TPS

....it's not only the level of the transmission fluid that we are concerned about..it is the color (should be cherry red) not bLACK and not smelly~