Help finding A4 3.0 Coolant Pipe

Asked by Aug 21, 2016 at 02:48 AM about the 2006 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Cabriolet

I'm looking for the coolant pipe that connects the heads on a 2006 A4 Convertible Quattro 3.0. It's the bit I highlighted red in the attached photo. Can anyone help me locate this part?

VW / Audi part 06C121085F coolant pipe. Don't purchase the plastic replacement. Available everywhere.

Best Answer
Bob Beaman

Nice find, I looked for 20 minutes and came up empty.

The part you are looking for is under the intake manifold. It requires removal of the manifold to access it so expect close to a 8 hr job easy since that is how long it took me to do it in my 98 audi a4 2.8L when i still owned it. you will need the intake gaskets. as well as all 4 rings for the pipe ends. in some cases you will need emissions gaskets as well since you literally need to unseat a lot of parts to get this pipe.

Thank you so much for the responses guys. I will get the parts ordered, and let everyone know how it goes.

Ok, so it took a while to find time for this, but I finally got the parts together and got to work. First, I want to say that this is probably the hardest part to replace on the top end. To get access to the whole thing, pretty much everything has to come off of the top of the motor, and most everything by the firewall has to be removed or loosened to make room. I have a lot of experience working on cars, and it took me about 7 hours to get this swapped. It was my first time removing the intake on this car though, so I struggled with that a bit (trying to avoid removing too many parts). I imagine I could do it again in about 5 hours now. At any rate, don’t go into this thinking it’s a quick or easy job. I also wouldn’t recommend doing it on an afternoon if you need the car in the morning. Make sure you have a backup plan to get to work just in case you break something else while you’re in there. Another thing I wanted to share is a list of handy tools. First, you MUST have 5mm hex in multiple lengths. I would recommend a long L balldriver, a 6” 3/8 drive bit, and a standard length 1/4 drive bit. An 8mm 3/8 drive bit will also prove handy for removing the throttle body. Purchasing these ahead of time will save you a TON of frustration, and you probably won’t even realize how much you should thank me. The last thing that I would say is essential is a magnetic retrieval tool. You WILL drop hardware / tools between the engine and the firewall, and in my experience, only about 10% will make it to the ground. Yes, I lost a 1/4” deep well socket, and a 5mm bit. No, I could not find it or retrieve it, even with a flexible, lighted magnet… Finally, I did end up using the plastic part, as I could only find the steel one used, and simply wasn’t in the mood to take a chance on a bent part. I got the replacement part from FCP Euro, and they were FANTASTIC. The part also included the seals for the ends that connect to the heads, and the O-ring for the long pipe that goes to the front of the block. Deathjam4 is correct that the emissions line (EGR?) across the back of the motor needs to be removed. I got away with reusing these gaskets, but would have replaced them if I had paid heed to his post and ordered them. Long story short – It’s done, it’s not leaking, and it passed CA smog. Once again, I really appreciate the help with this, and hope this thread can help someone else in the future. Thanks!

hehe yea I had to do this job on my 98 audi literally just before i sold it to sum it up right i was out there the same amount of time and I almost screwed up the egr valve seal myself :P I think I lost about 4 tools altogether myself as well which is what probably took up an hr of my time searching for. I am glad you got it done alright and that about sums up the mystery leaks of antifreeze.