help 98 chevy cavalier 2.2 wont start

15

Asked by Oct 22, 2012 at 03:45 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

car had overheating problems and blew water back through over flow, and was run with minimal water a few times then car started to shut off and was hard to start till one day it just wouldn't start changed crank sensor and fuel filter and plugs wires and changed oil, it tries to catch but wont start any ideas???????

2,995

blown head gasket possible engine trashed

15

I've blown a couple head gaskets and it doesnt act like that thanks for ya input since its trying to catch and start i'm looking for something else that might be wrong. was hoping to get ideas to run down in hopes it would start soon. need it for work

2,995

disable fuel or spark and crank it over and listen to the cranking sound for even starter rotation if it gets fast at points or unsually fast all the time either the head gasket blew or head is warped or leaking valves if not and its all even and sounds normal then look into fuel pressure and spark quality

34,275

Is the orange security light on by some stroke of luck?

15

she says yes it comes on but says all the other lights come on to when you try and start it...what are you thinking?

34,275

After attempting to start the car every light should go off except a very few including the check engine, battery voltage, oil pressure, and check gauges. Really those are the only lights that should be on. (If the security light flashes a few times and stays on after trying to start) <------ very important that that's what its doing. Then its the ignition switch security function. The directions I wrote in the link at the end of this will explain how to reprogram it if it gets replaced and how to bypass and shut down the feature when it activates due to malfunction. http:// www.cargurus.com/Cars/ Discussion-c3301_ds505015 do these steps and the car should be good.

15

thanks will have her check and see if thats whats happening, he boyfriends the master mechanic, and wont listen to others advice as he thinks he knows it all, so im gonna prove him wrong LOL done sitting idle and watching lame asses work...thanks and will keep ya posted