How do I fix my passenger door lock?

Asked by Jul 07, 2015 at 05:24 PM about the 1997 Mazda B-Series Pickup 2 Dr B4000 4WD Extended Cab SB

My passenger door is always locked
because the lock can't stay up on its own. I
can only open that door from the inside.

8,110

Replace the latch. you can tear one apart at a yard, learn what you can, get the latch if that's all you need, then effect repairs to your car. the experience teaches you to correct yours without damage. Be observant. use well made tools. those fasteners can be very tight. use the correct number screwdriver, and make it serve as an impact driver.

23,975

take the door panel of and inspect everything that moves..could be just a clip ..

Best Answer
8,110

If a clip was broken, it would no longer lock itself and be unlocked. that's more like a return in the latch mechanism when these are the symptoms, if you actually have this vehicle and inspect, repair, reassemble, and it stays fixed, that means you went for used parts, fabricated something, or replaced damaged parts from an unlock attempt without a key. Other people read things like this after you, so please say what it was, what caused it, and what actually fixed it. There's no magic there. The plastic parts for this linkage in the aftermarket may require buying the whole kit that covers many vehicles. That's the reason for taking one apart that still works but can lend its parts to your help. Happy horse doo.

23,975

like i said take the panel of and look...something just might jump out to you (the problem),you can also take the other panel off for a guide and inspect....

8,110

True story, if you dont do this everyday and the symptoms are actually as you say, why not learn about the weathersheet and how its attached on a jap p/u, how to remove the trim panel without damage...learn that on theirs before you mess up yours. thanks for comin out.